Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
NY,Boston,DC,Atlanta Don't miss this
b
9 September 2008 02:56
Here's one good reason to meet, one very good reason, I should say!!!
you can't get better celebration right before Eid el Fitr than to go to sahra Andalousiyah .....

Sept. 24-28 - Arabo-Andalusian Music Of Morocco Tours NY, Boston, DC And Atlanta, Reports MENA Music
TANGIER ENSEMBLE - There Was Music in Sultans' Courts before Flamenco

The master musicians of the Orchestra of Tangier will present a program of vocal and instrumental suites from medieval Andalusia in New York, Boston, D.C. and Atlanta, during a U.S. September tour.
Performing sung poems of love, pleasure, wines and nature, Tangier Ensemble will tour four cities in the U.S., starting on September 24 in Washington, D.C. The concerts in D.C. and Atlanta will mark the first appearance of a leading Andalusian music ensemble from Morocco in these two cities. The musicians will then visit Boston and New York.
Wed. Sept. 24 Washington, D.C. F. Scott Fitzgerald Theatre at Rockville Civic Center Park
Thurs. Sept. 25 Atlanta, Ga. Rich Theatre at Woodruff Arts Center
Sat. Sept. 27 Boston, Mass. First Church in Cambridge
Sun. Sept. 28 New York, N.Y. Merkin Concert Hall
In the Arab world, Andalusian music refers to "art music" as opposed to traditional and popular music. Andalusian music is believed to have originated in Moor-ruled southern Spain in the 9th century, and these
musical and poetic traditions based on ancient poems have been preserved and developed in North Africa by descendants of Muslim and Jewish populations who left Andalusia during the Christian Reconquista.
The Andalusian repertoire consists of vocal and instrumental suites called Nawbat, or Noubas. As Morocco was never ruled by Ottoman, its Andalusian music has the least influence by Middle Eastern musical styles, especially when compared to Algeria and Tunisia.
Tangier Ensemble is a small formation derived from Orchestra of Tangier. Led by the legendary master Ahmed Zaitouni, the orchestra toured the U.S. in September, 2007, before enthusiastic audiences. The visiting ensemble consists of five virtuosi on lute, violin, rebab (2-stringed hand-held bass) and tambourine with celebrated tenor Mohammed Arabi-Serghini on viola and vocals.
The ensemble members have received international recognition for the last two decades for their recordings of Andalusian music for European labels, extensive tours in Europe and the Arab world, and collaboration
with Spanish musicians.
MENA Music will launch "Andalusian Music Festival of New York" in February, 2009, and the current tour is a festival preview, introducing Arabo-Andalusian music to American concert-goers in N.Y., Boston, D.C. and
Atlanta.
MENA Music "> was established in 2006 in New York City by Ms. Kazko Kawai in an effort to enhance mutual understanding between the U.S. and the Arab world through music in the post 9/11 world. The organization is committed to bringing the best musicians from the Middle East (ME) and North Africa (NA) to North America to develop audiences for music from these regions. To date, MENA Music has produced several concerts to introduce North African music to the American people, which includes two Andalusian orchestral debuts in the U.S. and live performances by leading Moroccan Andalusian musicians broadcast for the first time in the U.S. on national television and NPR.
MEDIA: To arrange for pre- or post-performance interviews, contact Kazko Kawai at (800) 220-6270
or e-mail [email protected].
MOBILE: [www.e4mobile.com]
HTML: [www.eworldwire.com]
PDF: [www.eworldwire.com]
ONLINE NEWSROOM: [www.eworldwire.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 03:10 by bikhor.
H
9 September 2008 11:48
Salam

I assume it is a wonderful opportunity for you guys to meet..

I also want to react about things said in the article that seems false to me...

"Andalusian music has the least influence by Middle Eastern musical styles"

actually Andalusi originates from Persia. we also all know the story of Ziryab who fled the Abbasside palace being afraid of his teachr IS'hak almaoussili, at the time bagdad was a cultural center with influences from all over the muslim world, especially Persia, and India (pakistan included...)

"Andalusian music refers to "art music" as opposed to traditional and popular music"

Music is general is art whether it is popular or elitist, the main difference between the two genres is that the popular was mainly rural, Andalusi was urban, like Malhoun though this one is an expression of a different social class...

"Morocco was never ruled by Ottoman, its Andalusian music has the least influence by Middle Eastern musical styles, especially when compared to Algeria and Tunisia"

Algerians also have their own "Andalusi music, but it is closer to our "gharnati music"...

Happy Ramadan everybody

Salam
"The true traveller is without goal, it is the absence of goals which creates the ultimate traveller."Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain'
9 September 2008 15:11
Thank you Bkhor
I won't be in NY on September but I will definitively go to Feb. concert series.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2008 04:37 by ATAY_BE_LEQAMA.
S
9 September 2008 15:39
looks like someone did his research.
I am planning to go to the New York concert on September 28. Anybody else is going?

Hicham_A
Salam

I assume it is a wonderful opportunity for you guys to meet..

I also want to react about things said in the article that seems false to me...

"Andalusian music has the least influence by Middle Eastern musical styles"

actually Andalusi originates from Persia. we also all know the story of Ziryab who fled the Abbasside palace being afraid of his teachr IS'hak almaoussili, at the time bagdad was a cultural center with influences from all over the muslim world, especially Persia, and India (pakistan included...)

"Andalusian music refers to "art music" as opposed to traditional and popular music"

Music is general is art whether it is popular or elitist, the main difference between the two genres is that the popular was mainly rural, Andalusi was urban, like Malhoun though this one is an expression of a different social class...

"Morocco was never ruled by Ottoman, its Andalusian music has the least influence by Middle Eastern musical styles, especially when compared to Algeria and Tunisia"

Algerians also have their own "Andalusi music, but it is closer to our "gharnati music"...

Happy Ramadan everybody

Salam
H
9 September 2008 16:04
Salam Sebou3 :°

no research at all just common interest in Moroccan folk music, we have been in contact with this music since childhood, a minimum of information is a minimum, though i like gharnati more than andalusi...
"The true traveller is without goal, it is the absence of goals which creates the ultimate traveller."Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain'
S
9 September 2008 20:00
Ramadan Mobarak Hicham_A

I know we all have been exposed to our beloved Andalusi music especially in Ramadan or in religious holidays. But you're right, Moroccan andalusi can not be less tainted by oriental influence since moroccans were not the only ones who lived in Andalousia; Arabs from the middle east lived there too and with them came the oriental influence. However, I can qualify Andalusi music as a form of music art that is more moorish/moroccan than it is oriental.
H
9 September 2008 20:08
Allah ibarek fik Sebou3

Off course, it has nothing to do with oriental arabic music, it has evolved to a 100 % moroccan musical genre...

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook