Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
working in england
b
22 June 2006 11:00
Hello All

I'm a software engineer working with a French company in Paris, with a permanent contract and around 5 years experience left

Recently I've got an interesting job offer from a concurrent that have a development studio in uk

My problem is that I’ve no idea about work/life conditions there, and about the *normal* salary for a mid-level engineer, the nature of job contracts (equiv to CDI/CDD ...), the life cost compared to Paris...

All I know is that the city is about 200km far from London, and that to company is offering potential opportunities and extra incentives (that I should discover in the next interview)

I would highly appreciate any help, especially from people who had to deal with such experience

Regards
D
22 June 2006 17:34
I can tell you from my experience in London that the life standard over is much higher than Paris, and that wages are consequently substantial. It also depends on the area where you're planning to settle, there are some chic neighborhoods and some normal ones, one good thing about London is that no matther where you live you have access to almost anything (Shopping centers, restaurants, movie theatres...etc) just within the neighborhood so there's no need to plan long journey for little matters such as shopping and the like.
p
22 June 2006 18:03
Hi Bazz

I would think the wages in the UK are much higher than in Paris ,but i will urge you to push for more money in the interview if you can.

Cost of living will be higher than in Paris also transport but i think the quqlity of life is a lot better,good luck .
b
22 June 2006 18:15
Thanks for your answers

for the first point (life cost) I'm mainly interested in knowing how much do I need to pay for renting a small apartment, which is the main issue in Paris, (I'd say around 30 square meters), the city where I'm expected to work is far from london (200 km), can you point me to any uk apartments & rental resources on the web ?

about salary what is the approx ratio between gross and net wages ?

thanks again
r
23 June 2006 21:48
Try Fish4property and Fish4jobs
b
28 June 2006 20:54
Les sites :

[www.loot.com]
[www.moveflat.com]
[www.gumtree.com]
uk.easyroommate.com
[www.recherche-colocation.com]

Je t incite a aller sur ces sites qui ont tous des rubriques avec des annonces et notamment des offres de location ou coloc et dans le meme temps consult les foruma ya toujours des infos a glaner dans les rubriques logement…

[www.ici-londres.com]
CanalExpat
EasyExpat
FranceInLondon.com
Bienvenuealondres.com
a
3 July 2006 13:49
Bazz

For the wages you are looking at higher taxes here ,
NATIONAL INSURANCE
In the tax year from April 6th 2005 to April 5th 2006, the tax rate paid by workers was 0% for the first £94 per week, 11% on income up to £630 per week, and 1% on any income above £630 per week. The tax is paid each time you are paid (usually weekly or monthly). Unlike income tax, it does not matter how much you have earned in other pay periods, and the tax cannot be reclaimed (unless a mistake has been made).

INCOME TAX

If you work in the UK, you will have to pay income tax. This tax is collected by the government department known as the Inland Revenue.
Tax is paid based on your income during the tax year, which starts on April 6th and ends on April 5th in the following year.

In the 2005/6 tax year (for income earned between April 6th 2005 and April 5th 2006), the income tax bands were as follows:
0% on the first £4,895 (your personal allowance, equivalent to about £94 per week, or £408 per month)
(you may not be entitled to the full allowance if you have not been resident in the UK during the whole tax year)
10% (the lower rate) on the next £2,090 equivalent to about £40 per week, or £174 per month)
22% (the basic rate) on the next £30,310 (equivalent to about £583 per week, or £2,526 per month)
40% (the higher rate) on any income above this

For full details check : [www.ukstudentlife.com]

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook