Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Work in London
p
23 June 2008 07:18
Salam!smiling smiley

How is it going? I hope you are doing ok...

I've just been graduated and I am planning to work in London in the following weeks (well, I am still not quite too sure as I am hesitating between London and Paris) in order to enhance my career.
However, I would like to know more about the working environment in London and the job opportunities.

If some of you guys are working in London, would you please tell me more about your own experience? Is it something you would recommend to a new graduate like me?grinning smiley
Is it a stressfull environment? Do you enjoy working and living in London?

Many thanks in advancesmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2008 07:19 by pounkette.
a
23 June 2008 10:33
Hi
First of all, what kind of work do you wish to do? I used to live in London
London is great city the best of the best, multi racial city , one earns more compared to outside, all kind of jobs are available to those qualified to do them and life is just great, including the newly qualified for experience …
The bad side of London can be stressful as it’s a busy city, very expensive to live in
Paris, too many foreigners and tourists, crowded streets smoggy, gloomy bloody weather.
Paris, from what I used to know about it, is just a lovely city with a wide range of jobs too for foreigners the weather is slightly an improvement than London. The standard of living is a lot lower.
The bad things in my opinion are: being a foreigner in Paris is more of an insult to one’s race compared to London. I found the French a bit difficult to live with in a long term.
All in all visit and see for yourself.
Good luck to you
Adds adds jazz but never subtract music
p
24 June 2008 07:27
Salam addssmiling smiley

Thank you so much for your detailed feedbackthumbs up
Concerning the standard of living, I was also told that London is a bloody expensive citygrinning smiley But do you think I can have a good standard of living there?

I totally agree with you, if you are a foreigner, you have limited chances to get a job in France, that's what I like in England, people are quite open minded and they are always keen on knowing more about you and your origins.

I am actually thinking about going to work in London, I know they are offering some good graduate schemes for fresh graduates (which are not available in Francecrying(), so I might take my chance in London.smiling smiley That makes me feel even more enthousisasticDanse

Many thanks adds for your inputsmiling smiley
Any other suggestions?smiling smiley

Cheers!smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2008 07:29 by pounkette.
k
24 June 2008 14:35
good luck to evryone
a
24 June 2008 18:14
Welcome to London ,i totally agree with adds
M
25 June 2008 09:34
pounkette
Salam!smiling smiley

How is it going? I hope you are doing ok...

I've just been graduated and I am planning to work in London in the following weeks (well, I am still not quite too sure as I am hesitating between London and Paris) in order to enhance my career.
However, I would like to know more about the working environment in London and the job opportunities.

If some of you guys are working in London, would you please tell me more about your own experience? Is it something you would recommend to a new graduate like me?grinning smiley
Is it a stressfull environment? Do you enjoy working and living in London?

Many thanks in advancesmiling smiley

Hi pounkette. First of all, congratulations on your graduation! smiling smiley

I think i remember you from one of the old posts...were you doing a degree in a university in yorkshire? Leeds perhaps? or maybe i'm confusing you with someone else, in which case please forgive me!

Anyway, as everyone else said, London is a wonderful city. its multiculturalism, ethnic diversity and community spirit offers a lot and on a personal level,i doubt you would ever want to leave..
Londoners themselves are nice and warm people in comparison with the rest of the English. This is not to say that Northerners for example are not nice, not at all, but Londoners are quite open on other cultures, i think this is due to the cosmopolitain side of the city of London so you will always find people who will welcome you and want to know more about you.

Now, on a professional level London offers a lot wether it's for newly graduated people or people with experience. It would have helped if you mentioned your area of graduation to point you to the right direction but never mind, the market is stil relatively "healthy" despite the current crisis, just bear in mind that this might change soon with the prospect of a recession upon us so if people start losing their jobs, it will obviously be difficult for new graduates to find positions. I would suggest to start registering with as many recruitment agencies and headhunters to maximise your chances of securing interviews. When i first did that, i was swamped with emails from agencies and had interviews at least once every week!!

The only downside of London is accomodation! I'm not sure if you have thought of this and what you are planning to do but just be aware that London is a very expensive city (the suburbs are less expensive but still high ) and the cost of life has increased a little in the last months. Would be ideal if you could find good people to share with.

Anyway, good luck and if you need adivce or someone to talk to when you come over, feel free to contact me, i'll be happy to help.
There is no sincerer love than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw
p
25 June 2008 19:21
Dear Minnimouse,

Thank you so much for your contribution and your wishes thumbs up
Your feedback gave me a lot of confidence and I feel more and more enthousiastic about London.

Yes, I remember you as wellgrinning smiley I am the West Yorkshire studentsmiling smiley Bloody hell...You can't imagine how dificult it was to understand their accent, I really liked the way they pronounced "stuff" as "stoff"grinning smileygrinning smiley It was really funny...But it was a great experience. I quite enjoyed living in England.smiling smiley

To tell you the truth, I am a Business graduate (with a 2:1) and I've heard that they are offering some graduate schemes. The number of employment opportunities is just amazing...London might be a good place to gain work experience. I am just hoping that being French will not hamper my chances of getting a job in London.sad smiley

Many thanks also for your help, I really, really appreciate that and I will contact you ASAP to tell you more about my plans (I'll send you a personnal message, check your box from time to timewinking smiley)
Many thanks again minniemouse.
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks also to kingofqueen91 and atlasmagic!smiling smiley
Other suggestions will be more than welcome!

Cheerssmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2008 07:21 by pounkette.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook