Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Shopping Malls in Morocco !
a
17 June 2009 16:59
Morocco Mall
Luxury retail centre
Start Date: May 2008 | Completion Date: June 2010

After working together on projects such as the Turin Olympic hockey stadium, our Milan and Madrid offices are designing Morocco’s first luxury shopping centre. The two have joined forces again on the Morocco Mall, undertaking structural, mechanical, electrical, fire and facade engineering design.

The mall will be built on a formerly undeveloped area on the south side of Casablanca and will provide 185 000 m2 of retail and leisure space including an IMAX cinema, restaurants and shops.

The elegant retail centre developed by Design International Architects for Al Amine Investissement Immobilier, a joint venture between Aksal and Nesk, two large Moroccan franchise and fashion operators, is being designed by Arup.

Arup’s scope includes structural, mechanical, electrical and public health engineering, as well as fire and façade engineering. Our project scope only includes the 185,000 m2 shopping mall. This retail centre will become a reference not only as a luxury shopping venue in North Africa and Southern Europe, but as an avant-gardes design, including a zinc façade and glazed domes. The mall, which features four glass domes, is half a kilometer in length and is located less than 20 meters from the Atlantic Ocean. The Moroccan climate and the local winds which can reach 120 km/h for up to one week per year is a design challenge for Arup, both for the structural and building services designs.

The architect's design for a large open space with natural light through glazed domes is a key driver for Arup's design approach. Allowing for a flexible structural design, whilst designing for efficient energy usage and maintaining comfortable interior conditions for users was a key goal for the client and for Arup.

"We had to make sure we could achieve good quality construction with the technology available locally. So a small factory will be set up on site to produce pre-cast units, speeding up construction", explains Maurizio Teora, Milan office director.

"The building services design was challenging because of the severe Moroccan climate. We had to find ways to control the environment inside the building as sustainably as possible. The client wanted a lot of glass but we undertook studies to show that we could get enough light into the building with less. We also used shading and improved the UV values and overall performance of the glass."

Construction of the Morocco Mall has just begun, with explosives being used to blast a two-storey basement depth 500m long and 80m wide in the solid rock. Work on the building is due to be completed by June 2010

[www.almazar.com]

Others coming up for Fes & Tangier in 2010 ,all we need is our credit cards !
s
17 June 2009 17:08
well
good jobthumbs up
p
17 June 2009 17:19
casablanca has so many shopping centres i think they need to think of other moroccan towns as well
they talk about al jihawia but in practice nothing always casablanca is the winning bidder

hope they give other twons a chance
s
17 June 2009 17:20
well yes
cause meknes where i m originally has got nothingHeu
p
17 June 2009 17:23
meknes has la bel vie very small and crowded, i won t call it a shopping mall but few shops next to each other with astromic prices that no one can afford
s
17 June 2009 17:29
well yeah
i mean they dont make affordable shops and many choices for the customers
for example
here in the uk we ve got primark
its cheap and fashionablesmiling smiley
a
17 June 2009 17:58
The Malls springing up wont have Prim Armani in them they are luxury mall for specific shoppers in mind
Hence the choice of Casa ,Marrakech ,Fes & Tangier

These people wont spend a pennie if they are not sure they will get their returns ,so far Zara & La Senza ( i believe same company owns both in Morocco) & others are every where & they are doing pretty good but to go with big mall in Kal3at sraghna i wont think so !
s
17 June 2009 17:59
well that s the trading politicHeu
a
17 June 2009 18:23
These Malls will make a killing all new things will take off back home ,we love to spend & to show off & these Malls will be ideal grounds ....i notice the number of people going to Macdo & hooving around it !
s
17 June 2009 18:34
w
17 June 2009 18:34
malha kal3at sraghna it sounds very posh in english the castle of sraghna smiling smiley

i tried to get to mcdonald once in morocco it is so crowded went to pizza hut no place either
junk food , malls are invading morocco my only concern tajine and couscous will desappear
a
18 June 2009 11:53
Sorry whatsup !

Not meaning to put the castle of Sragna down or Al 3atawia just tried to says its the numbers that counts for these projects .

I do avoid them places & i do keep to me tagines & rural souks they must nicer & bring some nostalgia back !
s
18 June 2009 13:41
ok guys no arguments Heu
w
18 June 2009 13:48
i wasn t arguing , just joking ptdri have no idea where 9al3at sraghna on the map ptdr
it does make sense shopping malls need to be in big towns to be able to sell their products
as long as it helps employing moroccans , and contribute to the economie , welcome wmr7ba Danse
s
18 June 2009 13:52
ok thengrinning smiley
A
2 February 2014 16:08
Guys we need a primark and forever21 , and another like sephora and some new mall sad smiley
19 February 2014 11:48
You can make the shopping In the big city as Agadir, Marrakech is so beautiful , casablanca and Fès ( it's my city)
After they are the city next to thé doanne as Fnidek , m'dik and TANGER too.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook