Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Moroccan day at work
M
16 June 2008 17:57
Hi all, hope you're all ok!!

I am organising a "Moroccan food day" at work this coming friday. It's a bit of a tradition that we hold at my workplace whereby once a month, a representative of a country cooks for the team and brings in various little dishes for everyone to sample. This works well as there are various foreginers in my company so the choice is huge and its never boring!

So it's my turn this friday and i am very excited about the idea!! obviously Moroccan or North African food is quite known nowadays but there are still people around who are totally ignorant of what it is about and i was shocked to hear that some colleagues never even heard of couscous! sacrilegeous really, you will agree!! smiling smiley

However, it's not just about the food but about the culture in general. The goal is to expose the people to a bit of everything so i'm taking some moroccan decorations to put in the office for the day (Moroccan tajines, berber carpets, lamps, candles etc) and a colleague of mine even found a moroccan flag on ebay which we'll stick on the wall!! Lovely

The bit which i found tough to handle is the music!! i have no idea what to put as a Moroccan authentic music, i thought of Andaloussi music but they might find it way too boring for their taste. I don't really fancy putting chaabi as it's not exactly a wedding and i'm not sure they'll get as excited as we do about it! well you know what i mean!
So i'm in a dilemma really and don't know what to do! ideally i would like music which might be appreciated by a western taste like a fusion of african and western...a bit like what you hear in Essaouira's gnaoua and jazz festival but i have no clue where to find these!! or maybe collaborations between western and moroccan groups, i heard that Led Zeppelin did a song with Alghiwane in the past? or was it the Stones?? i'm completely ignorant so help please! any suggestions would be welcome smiling smiley
There is no sincerer love than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw
a
17 June 2008 10:40
Fantastic idea, I love Gnawa especially the new style that is more like reggae with al hajhouje. Some modern Berber groups are good example of the blend of western and North Africa. Hope others will help with some ideas too.

Best of luck is always the best Moroccan wish
Adds adds jazz but never subtract music
a
17 June 2008 11:42
Minniemouse

Wow ,very good news & good luck ..do not limit your choices have a bit of Gnawa , Ghiwane , Andaloussi just music + try a regadda , Fnaire ,Rai too is popular with westerners .

I have a huge Moroccan flag if you need one about 2 metre long ...& few other bits & bobs
Ps do not forget the mint tea & la7liwates ...
M
18 June 2008 12:40
Thanks both for your suggestions! Adds, where can i find this new gnawa/reggae style . Do you have any links please? i don't even need to download the music we could just go the website and listen in...

Atlas, thanks for your offer, i did find the moroccan flag as i said. Of course i won't miss the sweets and the tea! i'm going this lunch time to Maison souss get some.

Excellent suggestion about Rai Music! completely went out of my mind. I almost forgot how British people love Khaled, when i went to see him in the Barbican 2 years ago, there were many more British than North Africans!!
a
18 June 2008 15:16
Try you tube search on Moroccan music have you seen my privious post?
M
20 June 2008 11:59
Hi Adds, yes i did see your post and loved the first song, Zahar is awesome!!

I made a little compilation of moroccan tracks combining a bit of every style, fusion, guiwane, gnawa some rai etc and they all seem to enjoy it so far!!
a
20 June 2008 17:31
I was waiting for my plate of coucous or even a cup of tea with "ka3b lagzal"smiling smiley
a
23 June 2008 13:15
Perhaps Yabi team and memebers should organize a Moroccan day in London or Cambridge then we all have plates in our handsChefWelcomeClap

Any thoughts ?
a
24 June 2008 18:18
adds , a good idea ,let have names on the list :

July :
London : Atlasmagic
Cambridge

August

London : Atlasmagic
Cambridge
M
25 June 2008 09:16
atlasmagic
I was waiting for my plate of coucous or even a cup of tea with "ka3b lagzal"smiling smiley

if it's any consolation, there wasn't "ka3b lagzal" amongst the other cakes smiling smiley

but the couscouss was divine!! i'll put pics later in facebook for you to check.
M
25 June 2008 09:18
adds
Perhaps Yabi team and memebers should organize a Moroccan day in London or Cambridge then we all have plates in our handsChefWelcomeClap

Any thoughts ?

That would be wonderful! if only we had a way of knowing where to find other moroccan fellows in the UK. Another failure of the moroccan consulate who doesn't give a toss about the community!
a
25 June 2008 13:43
Minniemouse

I will look up for the pics ....the consulat des not have a social depatment , weel they pay some git but he does .... nada & spoke to him once ...oh my god ignorant bastards is an under statement..
we have to try to arrange a meet & take it from there
h
25 June 2008 14:38
Assalam

We pretty much have a good idea where morccans are in UK and fairly documented through Oral History. If you want to know more, check this website
www.mrcf.org.uk
hope this help.
a
26 June 2008 10:14
Dear all,
most Moroccan I know are in London Birmingham, Leeds and a few in cambridge hastings and Eastbourne. So if we say London as the center that would be ideal to everyone.
I am for it and can travel

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook