Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Living in a foreign country... is it worth it???
f
4 December 2005 21:50
Hello everyone;
just wanted to get your feedback about being away from our homeland, family ... etc
why are we here??? and whatever is the reason .... is it worth it to be away??? and for how long do you think this will last???
Sincerely;
Z
5 December 2005 04:50
Hi fabaraw,

As for me, Living abroad is just a matter of limited time, mainly for studies and education, which I enjoy a lot. This experience made me different from who I was in morocco. Also as a part of the journey, some practical experience in the field of jobs.

But for cultural, and projectional reasons, I have t ogo back ... something is waiting for me there smiling smiley
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
f
5 December 2005 14:50
Zouhair
I guess u are one of the lucky ones, my journey started similar to yours i left the country just for educational reasons as well and this was in 92 ..... we are 2006 soon smiling smiley i never planed to stay away more than 5 to 6 yrs but you do the math dear ... but extract 4 yrs bcz i did move back home for 4 yrs then moved away again
G
5 December 2005 16:26

Having myself lived outside my own country that is italy, and moved for 5 years to England, i dont think it is worth it in the end, yes if it is to improve scholar level or something like make some effort for quick money, it is ok, but then it is way much worth it to live in your own country....
and i think in other similar thread i stated that already.
it is absolutely not a question of feeling at a lower level, no way, but carrying out my studies in social psycology, i tent to observe people in every situation from ordering a restaurant, to a job interview and believe me in your country at least if someone tells you "Sh.." you can always answer "Eat it dear"!!!!!
a
5 December 2005 21:57
this was a topic simular to this one!!

[www.yabiladi.com]

aziz_dk
d
6 December 2005 03:40
salam fabaraw,

I think nobody would like to live far away from his familly and his country. everybody living abroad has his(her) own story why he left, some for economical raisons, other for political etc... personnally I left my country for studies, and once I had finished and came back to look at for a job, I had not found any descent one. the only solution left for me was to cross the boarder once-again and unfortunately I don't think I will come back home soon.

Unfortunately something I am not able to understand, some people had stable positions in morocco and they took the risk to leave their job, their familly and their country to live as immigrant in other countries (especially canada) hoping for better life, unfortunately often they can not even get a job... weird!!!

for Georgina, it is not because I am not in my country that i will stay calme if somebody tells me "sh.." I would also answer "eat it, or sit down on it"
f
6 December 2005 04:38
Georgina,
when i posted this subject i was not more interested about that kind of coments i was more talking about the emotional state of mind of foreigners when it comes to their homeland ..... but to be honest with you have spent most of my life away from my country and NO ONE has ever showed me any disrespect and if that means anything it means it all depends on the kind of people you try to be with if you put yourself high you will always remain there if you surounde yourself with low uneducated people i m not going to be surprised to hear more that SH...
Z
6 December 2005 04:50
I excuse you french.

Hi again, I found an interesting point to outlay :

I am not of the lucky ones as you may think, I just want to take my life byh the horns. I would sacrify money and wealth for a household, a warm wife, a sweet home. If certainly she is with me on the risky trip. I would like to enjoy a cup of tea with her, even in house that does not have air conditionning, or communicate with her without the necessity to have 5 media center pc , one on each room , why ? why should I have it all ?

If I get what to leave and sustain my very basic needs, and also by the same time to nurture my social life. I would be the most satsified man on earth.

My parents lived they whole life in morocco, and they are not one of those stealers or multi millionaires .. but they did it, why not us ? or we are always looking for that extra income that will not serve for anything ?

May allah bless them.

I will say it again, I am here for an experience, sociological, psychological and most and foremost to be educated and to create the "self" of mine.

Kind regards
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
f
6 December 2005 05:00
The only thing i miss in my life is having to grow far away from the people i love the most in life ... when i moved back there few yrs ago i was a total stranger with my own family, i totaly did not belong there or at least i felt that i no longer am one of them .... it took time but then i got so attached to all of them and we started understanding each other as if we have never been separated .... and when next move away came that was the killing one for me it was so hard as if it was the first time or even worst than that.....now i sit back and wonder why am i here??? what is my goal in life??? etc etc the only thing that is really killing me is being away from my family from the kids i raised, those who call me mom and teat me as i was their own mom to come to loneliness and bordom. the emptiness that is eating me from the inside out .... the sunshine that is missing in my emotional life ... is runing away from home the right thing to do??? did it solve the problem or may be made it worst and i dont realize it .... i guess only time will prove to all of us if we have made the right decision or the wrong one .... let's all hope it was the right one
G
6 December 2005 09:06

Fabaraw,
this is exactly what i mean... At the end when you live in a foreign country and by saying foreign i dont necessarily mean far, (could also be from Italy to Switzerland) so at the end im sorry but generally speaking you end up being no fish, no meat!
My papa's relatives emigrated to the city of NY 50 years ago, in the US (although economically they have done good but we are not talking about money) they feel they are still a bit italians and not yet americans and whenever they come here (them as well as their sons and daughters, my cousins) they feel they are not italians no more but not 100% americans, so it's like a dog trying to eat his on tail....

Aziz ciao dear!
Zouhair the same to you!
c
6 December 2005 17:08
It´s true that after many years you get devided. A part of you still belongs to your home country and a big part of you belongs to where you are. So I guess even if you go back to your country you might miss again the country you just left. Cause there you have been the last many years, and you get used to the way they run and manage their matters. So you can end up being a foreinger in your country. That depends also on how many contacts you still have in your original country. Not to mention that real life back home is not like a holiday, and the Morocco you might be going back to is not the one you left for several years ago. On the other hand you might even be positively surprised, but I don´t think there is a garanty for succes.

cali
Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things. Russell Baker
P
6 December 2005 17:59
I completely agree with what Cali said. Personally, I feel that division between the part that craves for my home country and the other part that developped in here. When iam here, I miss Morocco but when I go there (after a month) I cannot stand it anymore and want to come back here. It is a weird feeling because when I first got here, I had every intention of going back to my country one day, however, the more time goes by, the more I realize that I cannot live definitely in Morocco. I guess I changed but my country also changed without me being part of that change. It is a complex situation which makes me sad every time I think about it!
f
6 December 2005 19:48
I totally agree with yoy Cali and Playagirl
I am a very good example of that i left morocco in 1992 and by 2000 i was sick and tired of living abroad then i decided to move back home .... guess what the bigest disappointment of my life i just could not make it ... 2004 i was out of there again ... too bad so sad
Y
7 December 2005 02:42
To me, It's a matter hoe efficient I can adapt to the changes that took place while I was away! Living abroad is as refreshing as it is dangerous! I sort of think that we develop a ceratian yearning for "there" and can't stop criticising the "here". Case in point, we're all excitedto go back and prepare and call..., but once there, andafter a week or two, it's that feeling of familiarity that brings boredom to every corner that brings the imediacy of leaving again! Where? well, to "there" whereever it! I personally think, We are theLost generation of the 21st century; torn apart between two homes and niether could be claimed as hours! Seems sad, but it's a fact that we have to live with. Whether it's Europe, The States or Australia...it all boils down to "Here" and "There"! By nature, we're never satisfied with what we have or where we live! Sad it is, but I prefer to see the the cup half full, at timessmiling smiley in the sense that I think my moving, visiting for lack of a better word, is where my comfort is! Once I'm there, there are happy faces, but there are unhappy onces that would like to move as well but for some reason can't! Ultimately, I think It's in the moving that I find my comfort; in other words, I wish the Flight/ journey/trip... goes fo ever because the arrival is the beginning of boredom that leads to discomfort, criticism....it's a chain reaction!
hope this makes sense!
Bye for now
l
9 December 2005 04:12
Hello all,

Yes, and once you go back, you miss where you were, and if it's several different countries the situation just gets complicated. I think it's better to visit these places as often as practical (thus curing the homesickness), and then try and stay in the present and actually BE where you are, not constantly thinking about another place in your mind, that's where the problem comes from. I try to just enjoy as much as possible the good things about where I am, what I can do here, and the unique things I couldn't do anywhere else. Because everything is only for a limited period of time, I don't know what the future may bring, nor how long our lives may be.

For those of you missing Morocco, why not establish some business or educational links with the people there? That way it would help the people there enormously and you would have less of a feeling of missing the place and being disconnected, and also a good excuse to visit often - and many more people to talk to when there.

Enjoy life where you are : )

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook