Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
S
4 November 2008 00:17
Hi everyonesmiling smiley

Hope you are all doing fine.

I had a talk with my friend's grandmother and we discussed the way Women and Men do behave with each other.

She told me that in her times people were more elegant, classy, well- mannered and gracious, I mean, men had to rack their brains to court a woman.

Now she feels a kind of disappointed and I do share her viewpoint (although I'm young...).

Having ladylike manners and becoming familiar with the word Elegance is just too rare nowadays...

I have a question:

How would you define a Gentleman and a Lady???

Thanking you in advance,

Latifa
Elegance is an attitude[i]Thank you, my dear friends, for all your sweet messages, I love you too...[/i]
a
4 November 2008 11:13
Well its true that both ladies & gents have lost the old ways of doing things & now gents are more comfortable to behave like women & the women are misbehaving like the boys .

A lady should always have its elegance ,charm ,having good manners ,sensitivity & sensuality !!!
A gent to be galant,respectful ,charming ,well mannered ,considerate & diplomatic .
No class of Equality gimmicks should mask these qualities or be used as an excuse to do without them .
H
4 November 2008 11:22
Salam Sweetlatifa and everybody

I don't know from which social background you are Sweetlatifa but let me disagree with you as i don't think that at the time of "our" grandparents women were always treated in an elegant way (assuming off course that we belong to the same generation)

From the point of view of grandmothers, people had perhaps a more respectful attitude towards elders and each other. However and taking into account polygamy and circumstances of marriage as an example, it was close to slavery in some cases..and these circumstances still persist in some place in our country

As to the definition of a Gentleman and a lady, it really a cultural issue, i remember reading in one of Nabil Maâlouf's novels, i think it is "Le rocher de Tanios", that ignoring a woman is a sign of great respect.. the novel's context is Lebanon centuries ago...

For me, praising Elegance in the sense of gallantry to such an extent is sometimes dangerous, Womanizers are the most elegant and gallant of men. If good manners and elegance are not coupled with real respect, then it is just fake and sometimes connotes of great hypocrisy.

Salam
"The true traveller is without goal, it is the absence of goals which creates the ultimate traveller."Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain'
S
4 November 2008 12:56
Salam Hicham,

I'm in my twenties...And I was not talking about my own grandmother...

Let me, in my turn, disagree with you: Womanizers are not the most elegant men...Their attitude is too rude and do not know how to court women...

The world we live in lacks Class and Elegance.

Would you say that Elegance is innate?
Elegance is an attitude[i]Thank you, my dear friends, for all your sweet messages, I love you too...[/i]
H
4 November 2008 13:02
Salam Sweetlatifa

Sure Elegance is innate but also can be acquired to a certain degree...

It is my turn to ask you, why do you give so much importance to Elegance an what qualities do you include in the word Elegance? just to make sure we are talking about the same thing smiling smiley
"The true traveller is without goal, it is the absence of goals which creates the ultimate traveller."Gao Xingjian 'Soul Mountain'
S
4 November 2008 13:13
Why Elegance is so important for me???

Well it's a way of life... You know I've always been sensitive to:

Good manners, a classy behaviour,using a good language when conversing with the others,having a good mind,getting dressed tastefully,being more ladylike...you know, it's much more pleasant, don't you think so???

Just around there, girls look like guys, they all dress the same way and do not speak respectfully,too bad...
H
4 November 2008 15:12
I do agree with you that women should dress and behave typically, i think also that elegance, as you described it, is very important keeping in mind that there are deeper considerations....
S
4 November 2008 22:39
What do you mean?

Hicham_A
I do agree with you that women should dress and behave typically, i think also that elegance, as you described it, is very important keeping in mind that there are deeper considerations....
H
5 November 2008 09:40
What you have explained is about outer behaviour and appearance and for me it cannot be more important than things like respect for example
S
5 November 2008 17:41
Hi,

When I say 'behaviour' , I mean, good manners and it includes Respect.

To be elegant is to be polite, charitable, generous, tenderhearted,... Making the effort to be elegant means caring about how our manners and appearance affect others.

Living gracefully embraces also the points mentioned previously.

Kind regardssmiling smiley
H
5 November 2008 18:12
You are giving to the word a global meaning, so be it smiling smiley
S
5 November 2008 20:50
Yes Sir!
a
14 November 2008 16:39
Here I come sticking my ors in as usual.Welcome

The terms lady and gentleman is connected mainly to the upper class of British society, the American just copied it but this is another story.
This class of people distinguish themselves from the rest of the nation by the way they speak, dress, behave and conduct themselves in their daily dealing with others. This group believe in demanding (through inheritance, status, wealth etc) respect from others and not earning it. They sneer and look down on the layman ordinary common people. Generally speaking these people can be difficult to deal, live with unless you are from the same class.
Now how this does relates to our society back home? Well, it doesn’t. perplexe
The ladies, those days had less freedom, majority weren’t educated (and still), didn’t have much destructions, they didn’t expect much just from home to another (arranged marriages)…Man were shy, inexperienced, majority uneducated (and till), chauvinists and very dominants.
Elegance, is a behaviour that is learnt and acquired during the upbringing not inherent in the individual (sucking the thumb is inherent in Human).confused smiley

Having some manners of courtesy, responding relatively in the correct manner during a dialogue, dealing tactfully with people at all levels and most of all having some sense of humour is the best way in my opinion and experience to attract the attention of the opposite sex. In love

The attraction happens naturally without courting (talwate); nowadays the equality and women freedom does encourage the reduction of this phenomenon but for those less fortunate Men; it encourages the animal behaviour hence dressing strangely, rape, vulgar language etc ..SOS
Adds adds jazz but never subtract music
S
14 November 2008 21:49
HI Adds,

I don't fellow you...
What do you mean?

adds

The terms lady and gentleman is connected mainly to the upper class of British society, the American just copied it but this is another story.
This class of people distinguish themselves from the rest of the nation by the way they speak, dress, behave and conduct themselves in their daily dealing with others. This group believe in demanding (through inheritance, status, wealth etc) respect from others and not earning it. They sneer and look down on the layman ordinary common people. Generally speaking these people can be difficult to deal, live with unless you are from the same class.
The ladies, those days had less freedom, majority weren’t educated (and still), didn’t have much destructions, they didn’t expect much just from home to another (arranged marriages)…Man were shy, inexperienced, majority uneducated (and till), chauvinists and very dominants.
Elegance, is a behaviour that is learnt and acquired during the upbringing not inherent in the individual (sucking the thumb is inherent in Human).confused smiley

Having some manners of courtesy, responding relatively in the correct manner during a dialogue, dealing tactfully with people at all levels and most of all having some sense of humour is the best way in my opinion and experience to attract the attention of the opposite sex. In love

The attraction happens naturally without courting (talwate); nowadays the equality and women freedom does encourage the reduction of this phenomenon but for those less fortunate Men; it encourages the animal behaviour hence dressing strangely, rape, vulgar language etc ..SOS
a
16 November 2008 14:07
Sweetlatifa
HI Adds,

I don't fellow you...
What do you mean?

Hi there
which part dear?

adds

S
16 November 2008 15:04
Hi,

The part in bold:

"nowadays the equality and women freedom does encourage the reduction of this phenomenon"
a
17 November 2008 17:00
Hello and Salam
All I said is that chatting up women in the traditional way ( I am referring here to the pestering talwate) will diminish with women’s freedom and the perception of accepting that women can decide for themselves when, where and who they court directly in the manner they prefer and prior to the move of men.

Regards to you
and my salute to
Women liberation
Cool
S
18 November 2008 14:52
Hi,

I don't share your viewpoint...

Elegance and class have nothing to do with women liberation...

Gender equality is one thing but what this has to do with having good manners???

I don't follow you...

Kind regards.
a
18 November 2008 15:39
No, it has nothing to do with it, except when you referred your original statement and the disappointment your mum had expressed in Men not using their brain in courting …. Women liberation will reduce the courting thing.
Elegance and class appears only among a class of elegant people. If one calls a lay Moroccan woman a lady; she will think there is something wrong with him and the observers would think she put a spell on him (sahra lih)
Good manners come with the upbringing, education, self esteem, dignity and self respect. I wouldn’t expect all that in one go from a woman/man who had no formal education or even if educated; they are spending most of there time watching those passing by…
The bottom line the problem is down to the parents to start the ball rolling. We are straggling with people to stop spitting in the street and move their hand from between their legs in public, to cue and not push in cues, to hold the door to someone coming behind etc the list is
j
18 November 2008 20:40
yes i can...........Welcome
w
21 November 2008 15:56
arab men have no idea what is a gentlemen behaviour in the past or now
my grandemother told me that men in the past treated women like they own them beating up a woman is part of the culture and a sign of true manhood smiling smileyshe also told me that her neighbour broke his wife s arm because she looked from the window when someone knocked on the doorsmiling smiley
when i visit an arab country unfortuantely i see some disgraceful behaviours by men towards women
i have seen a man pushed a pregenant woman violantly and jumped in front of her to get the small taxi
a gentleman and a lady only exist in societies with civilised mentalities
a
21 November 2008 16:15
In my humble opinion that is called ignorance; one can’t expect much of someone who doesn’t distinguish between good, bad and just acceptable behaviour.

You are absolutely right mate. When I was young, I have witnessed my sisters been beaten up by their ignorant husbands also blokes have been very abusive verbally to women who didn’t like been chatted up in that rude manner. I have also witnessed women who were very happy to date men so, so vulgar not to be seen dead with.Danse
s
24 November 2008 17:23
Whatsup

I could not agree with you more, especially what you said at the end, i have seen worst myself and the lack of respect for no reasons but i also meet some really really nice well educated moroccan men.
it will take a longtime to change that mentalite, its getting much better but we still have a long ways to go in our socite.
We hope for the best and we rely on people like us that see the # somewhere else in civilised environments to educated the rest, some people just don't know any better.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook