c
13 avril 2007 12:56
[www.aljazeera.net]

UPDATED ON:
MONDAY, APRIL 09, 2007
11:27 MECCA TIME, 8:27 GMT

Forgotten children of Baghdad
By Sherine Tadros

Four years on since the US invasion, many of the people who continue to suffer the most in Iraq are the country's children.

Many have lost their families to the violence and are forced to live on the streets in the midst of a war, surviving by living in dumps and eating whatever scraps they can find.

Poverty in Iraq has reached new levels in the last four years. Many children have little or no access to basic necessities, like clean water, health care or education.

The statistics are startling. One child in every 25 will die before they reach the age of five. One in four, or more than three million children, are malnourished and one in five does not go to school.

Al Jazeera spoke to some of the forgotten victims of the war in Iraq.

Ahmed Jabbar spends his days selling toys on the streets of Baghdad. He left school because he needed to earn a living for his brothers and sisters.

"Our family has seven members," he says. "My father was killed by a terrorist in Baquba. We left Baquba and came to Baghdad."

Both of Sijad Ali's parents died when he was just five. He lived on the streets until his brothers took him to an orphanage in Tobji. Here he can paint and play games with his friends and is considered the lucky ones.

"The National Guards and the Americans used to beat and arrest me, suspecting I was a terrorist. No matter how much I told them I wasn't. Then I ended up here. It's a comfortable place and we have full rights."

Another child at the orphanage is Mohammed Wahel. The orphans are often dumped on the doorstep of the safe house.

"I'm from Basra and I was brought to Baghdad by a man and left in the street," he says. "I stayed with a family and then I was brought to the orphanage. I don't know who my parents are."

"Children here lack family feelings and passion," says Sumir Jasse, a social worker at the orphanage. "We love them more than their parents do. We try to bring happiness to their life. We stay with them day and night, we treat them and work hard to cure those who were subject to being beaten in the past."
c
13 avril 2007 15:35
Je crois qu'il est possible de parainer ces orphelins victimes de guerre, tout comme les enfants palestiniens...

Si quelqu'un en connait davantage, merci de nous l'indiquer...

Ne les oubliez pas... ils n'ont plus personne au monde à part une indifférence totale et généralisée à leur égard...
c
13 avril 2007 15:47
Laissez moi vous en traduire un extrait pour vous le faire réaliser:

Four years on since the US invasion, many of the people who continue to suffer the most in Iraq are the country's children.

Many have lost their families to the violence and are forced to live on the streets in the midst of a war, surviving by living in dumps and eating whatever scraps they can find.

Poverty in Iraq has reached new levels in the last four years. Many children have little or no access to basic necessities, like clean water, health care or education.

The statistics are startling. One child in every 25 will die before they reach the age of five. One in four, or more than three million children, are malnourished and one in five does not go to school.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Depuis l'invasion US il y a 4 ans, beaucoup de ceux qui continuent à souffrir en Iraq sont les enfants du pays.

Beaucoup ont perdu leurs familles dans la violence et sont forcés de vivre dans les rues au milieu de la guerre, survivant en vivant dans des décharges et en mangeant n'importe quel débris qu'ils peuvent trouver.

La pauvreté en Iraq a atteint de nouveaux niveaux ces 4 dernières années. Beaucoup d'enfants ont peu ou pas accés aux besoins élémentaires, comme l'eau potable, la santé et l'éducation.

Les statistiques sont surprenants. Un enfant sur 25 mourra avant d'atteindre l'âge de 5 ans. Un sur 4, soit plus de 3 millions d'enfants, sont mal-alimentés et 1 sur 5 ne vont pas à l'école.
c
13 avril 2007 15:55
Al Jazeera spoke to some of the forgotten victims of the war in Iraq.

Ahmed Jabbar spends his days selling toys on the streets of Baghdad. He left school because he needed to earn a living for his brothers and sisters.

"Our family has seven members," he says. "My father was killed by a terrorist in Baquba. We left Baquba and came to Baghdad."

Both of Sijad Ali's parents died when he was just five. He lived on the streets until his brothers took him to an orphanage in Tobji. Here he can paint and play games with his friends and is considered the lucky ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Al Jazeera a parlé à ces quelques victimes oubliées de la guerre en Iraq.

Ahmed Jabbar passe ces journées en vendant des jouets sur les rues de Baghdad. Il a quitté l'école parce qu'il avait besoin de gagner sa vie pour ses frères et soeurs.

"Ma famille a 7 membres", dit-il. "Mon père a été tué par un terroriste à Baquba. Nous avons quitté Baquba et sommes venus à Baghdad."

Les deux parents de Sijad Ali sont morts quand il avait tout juste 5 ans. Il vivait dans les rues jusqu'à ses frères le mettent dans un orphelinat à Tobji. Là, il peut paindre et jouer à des jeux avec ses amis et il est considéré comme un chanceux.
c
13 avril 2007 16:10
"The National Guards and the Americans used to beat and arrest me, suspecting I was a terrorist. No matter how much I told them I wasn't. Then I ended up here. It's a comfortable place and we have full rights."

Another child at the orphanage is Mohammed Wahel. The orphans are often dumped on the doorstep of the safe house.

"I'm from Basra and I was brought to Baghdad by a man and left in the street," he says. "I stayed with a family and then I was brought to the orphanage. I don't know who my parents are."

"Children here lack family feelings and passion," says Sumir Jasse, a social worker at the orphanage. "We love them more than their parents do. We try to bring happiness to their life. We stay with them day and night, we treat them and work hard to cure those who were subject to being beaten in the past."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

"Les Gardes Nationales et les Américains avaient l'habitude de me battre et m'arrêter, me suspectant comme un terroriste. Par n'importe quel moyen je leur ai dit que je ne l'étais pas. Puis j'ai fini là. C'est un endroit confortable et nous avons pleins de droits."

Un autre enfant à l'orphelinat est Mohammed Wahel. Les orphelins sont souvent jetés négligemment sur les seuils de la maison sure.

"Je suis de Basra et j'ai été emmené à Baghdad par un homme et laissé dans la rue," dit-il."J'ai commencé avec une famille puis j'ai été emmené dans un orphelinat. Je ne sais pas qui sont mes parents."

"Les enfants ici manquent de sentiments de famille et d'amour,' dit Sumir Jasse, un employé social de l'orphelinat. "Nous les aimons plus que leur parents ne les aiment. Nous essayons de leur apporter du bonheur dans leur vie. Nous restons avec eux jour et nuit, nous nous occupons d'eux et travaillons dur pour guérir ceux qui ont été battus dans le passé."

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Facebook