Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Ebay!
M
1 April 2008 10:10
Hi. I am going to sound like a complete retard but i have no idea how this website works and never tried it. I hear that some people use it a source to generate second incomes!! if this is true then i must be crazy not to take advantage of it. So after hours of self debating i decided to take the plunge and become an ebay businesswoman smiling smiley but before that i'd like to have an idea on how it works? is it safe? can you sell anything even if it's used? how does the bidding work? does the money come straight to your bank account or does it come in the form of vouchers or money which you can only invest online?

looking forward to read tips from some experts!
There is no sincerer love than the love of food. George Bernard Shaw
a
1 April 2008 10:39
Minniemouse

I'm no expert ,but i do have un account & i did buy & sell few items :
You need to register & ideally open a Paypal account too this will make it very easy for you to buy & sell as the money will hit you Paypal account ....
You will get feed back after every transaction & this is very important as buyer will check your feed back before buying from you ....
You are able to sell almost everything : new ,old ..... & you could have a fix price ,buy now price or auction with a reserve price or just an auction with time limit
Do not send any items to Nigeria & do not be fouled by people overpaying for items & asking you to send them the difference ..............usual common sense if its too good to be true ,its not true

Good luck
M
1 April 2008 11:08
Thanks atlasmagic for the great tips!

Just one more question: do you cash in your money or do you only use it to buy online? i don't really know how paypal works
a
1 April 2008 12:25
Cool, you cash in your dosh
Paypal is a very safe way to pay on line using your cards (its free to set up & you only pay a samll fee when you take payment & not when you mak them )
www.paypal.co.uk & open an account once verified you will be able to pay for things & receive money & once the money is in your Paypal account you do widrawals to your normal bank account that you added in to your Paypal

Its a very good tool for on line payments & a lot of people use it

How does PayPal work? Question :
Answer : PayPal can be used to send and receive payments online. Once you sign up for PayPal, you can send money to anyone with an email address. You can use money from your PayPal balance or from another payment method of your choice, such as a credit card, debit card or your bank account. Recipients are then notified by email that they have received a payment from you.
Worth having .....many guest house & BB use Paypal for booking .....
M
1 April 2008 12:43
That sounds easy and safe to use. worth trying

Thanks again atlasmagic!
a
1 April 2008 14:49
I have to admit I don't like eBay it a place where you can lose money and end up with rubbish what you would throw away in anyways. I had one bad experience that ended well where I paid the money directly into the person’s account as they wouldn’t accept pay pall and I didn’t have an account at that time with them. I have spent the entire day at the Nat West Bank trying to resolve the matter. I didn’t leave until I took my money with me.
I know others who received goods different to what they have bid for or over a year waiting for the item to be delivered others have returned damaged goods back to the seller for replacement but they ended up with nothing. Putting a negative feed back on e-bay is not worth it as the sellers change their username and come back after certain time.

I like to see what I am buying and take it with me and have a guaranty to fall back on. You only save a few pence if there is any saving at all. Its up to you, if you like gambling, start with something little no more than five quid, buy only from 100% positive feed back and over 1000 feed back then sit and wait….

Good luck what ever you chose

\\\\////
Adidas not cheap even on e-bay
M
1 April 2008 15:19
Thanks for the advice adds. I'm not actually planning to buy anything from Ebay, i'd like to sell. I've got loads of stuff in my loft which i need to get rid off. Usually i take stuff to charities or throw it away if it's not usable anymore but i also have a lot of things which charities don't accept like electrical goods etc. somme items are brand new they were bought but never used. I also used to be a clothes addict so have lots of brand new vintage dresses etc which i can sell. I have never sold anything before in my life but now that i am in need of some extra income, why not take advantage of these services smiling smiley

PS: love the signature by the way! you reminded me, i have a pair of Adidas which i might sell as well lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2008 03:21 by Minniemouse.
f
1 April 2008 23:07
i have used ebay dozens of times over the years, mostly to buy things, but also to sell.

I think it's great, you just have to follow some simple common sense rules and you should be fine.

I would recommend using it to buy few things before starting to sell, just to get the hang of it. (you would not be able to sell anyway if you dont have some positive feedback)

Always use Paypal to pay (and use a credit card to fund your paypal account for extra protection).

If you have a problem, you can always raise a dispute and there is a high chance it will get resolved to your advantage, as ebay is known to side with the buyers.

I have just used it yesterday to buy a memory card for my phone from hong kong, half the price in Europe.
M
2 April 2008 13:05
Great, thanks for the advice felfela. I keep saying i will only sell and not buy but being a shopaholic, i know i will not be able to resist for a long time!!
i
2 April 2008 19:10
Salam,

You just wanna be a seller in eBay and you have no feedback yet. Let me ask you this question: ''Are you gonna buy a good from someone who has no reputation?''
Well, that's your case, you have to build your reputation and get some positive feedbacks before you can get the eBayers trust you. What you can also is buy some cheap items just for the sake of:
1- Experience so you can have an idea how eBay works.
2- Get some positive feedbacks.
3- Get points in paypal, because the more you use it the more you get ''points''
To withdraw money from Paypal to your bank account they will give a limit of $500 per month, but this limit can raised by confirming your bank account with a simple refundable transaction, you don't have to worry about it.
Also, eBay charges some fees for sellers like crazy, so do not expect much from them, and paypal for receiving money. This being said that your profit margin will be lower than you expect.

Good luck
l
8 April 2008 19:13
nothing is absolutely risk less !

any kind of business has some kind of risks associated to it, just take into account that if you get accustomed to selling over ebay plateform , expect some chargebacks sometimes.

i do sell , and got the powerseller status over ebay, so i know from experience that.

also, i do sell items around 100- 200 ish so the fees including shipping will hover around 20 dollar/ item

take this into consideration as well when you do your cost benefit analysis.

i would say do not sell on ebay if you plan to make (net income) less than 20 dollars from 0->70 dollars item or 40 dollars from a 70-200 item.

or else it is a headache
"Hé ! bonjour, Monsieur du Corbeau. Que vous êtes joli ! que vous me semblez beau ! Sans mentir, si votre ramage Se rapporte à votre plumage, Vous êtes le Phénix des hôtes de ces bois."

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook