Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
"The Clash of Cultures" by Huntington
a
14 March 2005 17:36
After his famous book « the clash of civilization » which has been under study and comments during the last 8 years, inspiring even the think-tank of the neo-conservatism in the white house, Samuel Huntington tries again to catch more light on the spots with a new provocative book about “The clash of cultures ». This latter is an essai from Huntignton about the “cultural Choc” of the Spaniard community in the US, formed mainly by Mexicains, and the problems of their “cultural integration” into the US society.

Despite his new book is talking specifically about communities living in the US, the ideas depicted within his essay are easily exported to Europe where the discussions about the integration of Muslims immigrants is still a daily preferred theme for Editorials under different headlines: Talking about the integration of Muslims in French, and the Abolition of the “Parallel Societies” In Germany…etc

With all this clashes of cultures and religions: "Clash of cultures", "clash of civilizations", "clash of religions"...etc, one body can here mention the answer of the Edward Said who refuted and rejected Huntington’s thesis in a long article under a very significant title: " The Clash of Ignorance"!

Links:

Edward Said “Clash of Ignorance” article: [www.thenation.com]
S. Huntington Clashes!:
[www.amperspective.com]
e
14 March 2005 20:48
there is also a new book " clash of fundamentalisms " by an Iraki Taik something...
a
15 March 2005 01:46
Thanks Alximo for the post and the link, I will read it at work, I still think no one defended the Palestinian cause as eloquently and as well as Edward Said.
Thanks again,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2005 05:00 by almotanabi.
Almot
Y
15 March 2005 03:49
Edward Said Summed it up well : Huntington is an oportunist trying to make a name for himself and he got to the point where he got/ was confused by his own cheap attempts to alienate Islam as a religion. His discourse, having read bits and peices ofhis writings consists of sticking this stamp of religiosity to almost every argument he puts on the surface! And that's to the liking of the conservatives and the neo- ones! It a shame that the argumens are based on Ignorant info hathered from hear and say!
I liked the article and the title is To the point!
Yani
m
15 March 2005 17:43

On one side I really enjoyed The Clash of Ignorance"
elegantly written by Prof. Said. A sharp brain, mastetring the words and with a solid historical background.

On the other side, while reading I was tremendously sad, having in mind that he is gone. Allah Yarahmou.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook