Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
CANADA: how is life there?
K
5 March 2008 22:04
Is there anyone of you who is living in Canada?

I want to know wich city are you living in (if you are in Canada) and how do you manage your life?

Even for those who don't live there, you can share your opinion concerning your vision that you have for Canada.

Hope to hera from you all.

Regards,

Kabi.
K
7 March 2008 02:26
Hello ... is there anybody in the house??? smiling smiley
M
7 March 2008 17:34
Hi;
I’m at home, but i’ll not response u spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
K
8 March 2008 05:02
smiling smiley
You did .. so never mind.

I hope that you enjoy your vacation in Morocco... when will you come back?
k
8 March 2008 12:40
assalamoalaikom,
well, i've never been in Canada but 've friends some came back home & others still living there. myself i'm settling in Malaysia and i'm still in contact with them. according to what they say, cost of living there is high. before it was all right and everything was reasonable from renting to other expenses but recently things tend to climb very highmoody smiley because of the increasing number of immigrants. in the other hand the climate is unbearable especially during winter. hence one of my friends can manage to come back home for holidays only once each 4 years. racial discrimination is another issue that an Arab or Muslim w'll certainly go through.
my advice for you is the following: if you already 've a job with an acceptable salary then stick to it(tm).
if not then go ahead, there's nothing to lose.
another point to mention: regardless these two cases, if you 'r an adventurous person fond of travel and looking for experience overseas with a strong will, seeking opportunities and have nothing behind to cry over then speed up and don't look behind. jump like a deergrinning smiley. there's a famous Arabic poem which meaning is the following:
if you aadventure for a valuable thing then accept nothing bellow the stars(as a reward)
because dying for a worthless thing or dying for worthly thing is the same.

good luck
if there's any comment you're welcome smiling smiley
K
9 March 2008 04:12
Thanks a lot for your advise ... I like a lot when you said: "my advice for you is the following: if you already 've a job with an acceptable salary then stick to it. if not then go ahead, there's nothing to lose."

I used to have a good job while I was in morocco (bank) but I prefered to find out my self by doing this very big adventure : Immigrating to canada...
After 4 years I'm feeling happy and still doing my best to live a better life.

I just want to know the advice of others.

So thanks again
s
9 March 2008 12:48
Try Europe its much better, close to Morocco, benefits are excellent. Im born an raised in Holland, the best choise my father has made, to move to Holland.
K
14 March 2008 05:03
Any others living in canada?
a
16 March 2008 11:17
hello there

I'm planning to move to canada, montreal, this year.

I've applied for a visa and got it for a year. I've visited montreal thrice this past year and I loved it. I don't know if i'll cope with the weather but I'll give it a try.

as for jobs, I haven't applied yet and I don't really know how it is. I live in france and am a teacher here. I hope i'll manage to get something i am interested in.

I can't say much because I was a tourist each time I went to montreal but I liked what I saw.
Il faut se garder de trois fautes : parler sans y être invité, ce qui est impertinence ; ne pas parler quand on y est invité, ce qui est de la dissimulation ; parler sans observer les réactions de l'autre, ce qui est de l'aveuglement. [Confucius]
16 March 2008 16:41
I think Kamal a gave you the best advice you can possibly have.
I must add that visiting a country as a tourist, or spending time in a country as a student is completly different from going to that country as an immigrant, because you face completly differnt problems, and people see you, and treat you under a whole differnt angle, and this will be even more so when you start a familly, and have children.
K
17 March 2008 17:51
Hi Aela.91,

Thank you for your advice.

I agree with you about Montreal: it’s a city that has got a special charming feel in.
It’s the biggest city in Quebec, more than half of Québécois living there (3.8 Millions according to the last statistics).

And of course the majority of immigrants established there.

If you went to Jean-Talon Boulevard surely you met some of them, and in Jean-talon market you just have to speak Arabic in certains shops, that’ funny.

As Racines said “is completly different from going to that country as an immigrant” he is right.

Sometimes it’ better to live the experience so as to know the meaning of that.

You said also that you are teacher, if you teach French it’s better for you to teach French language in an Anglophone area (especially in Ontario), but be aware that here is the Canadian Association of teachers, and they have specific conditions in order to permit to you to work as teacher.

Anyway , there are some people who like the adventure and try new things in life, but it’s better to be well prepared for the adventure… for me Canada deserve it.

Have a good day
a
18 March 2008 12:28
hi kabi101

you're right, I've been to jean talon and I has the feeling I was somewhere else but in montreal.
I ve been around montreal and quebec in general and I liked it.

In france, I teach English and not French. And if I can't teach there, I'll do something else I guess. I'm open to any solution to work because it's temporary as I'm going to stay in canada for about 5 years only

can it be possible that living in canada is more difficult for moroccan immigrants than for european immigrants?? I'm just asking thu I don't have the answer. I guess going from a sunny country like morocco to cananda is a huge step to take, plus the mentality is diffirent in cananda too.

I don't have a clue about this really but I'll see for myself inchaallah.
Il faut se garder de trois fautes : parler sans y être invité, ce qui est impertinence ; ne pas parler quand on y est invité, ce qui est de la dissimulation ; parler sans observer les réactions de l'autre, ce qui est de l'aveuglement. [Confucius]
K
18 March 2008 16:47
"because it's temporary as I'm going to stay in canada for about 5 years only "

May I know why you think about just 5 years to saty in canada , I mean why specifically 5 years and not more>

"can it be possible that living in canada is more difficult for moroccan immigrants than for european immigrants?? I'm just asking thu I don't have the answer"

It's depend not on wich contry you are coming from but wich person you are, and how much could you manage yourself in life.

It's true that is not easy (nowhere is easy to live in) but believe me it's the best thing i've ever did in my whole life . I'm still looking to achieve my dearms and life here is really different than europe.

If you want more informations specifically for morrocan way life in canada just let me knoe and I'll send to you a wonderful web site created by moroccan for moroccan , they are like family help each others in canada.

Regards.
a
18 March 2008 20:18
hello

to answer your question, i met my fiance who lives in montreal and that's why i'm moving there.
He has a good job there and want to stay to have a 10 year experience in that company and that's why im moving over there for only five years.

I can't live forever in canada because my parents live in france and his mum lives in morocco. you know that coming for the holidays is hard because expensive and canadians only have 2 week of holidays. we have to bear in mind that parents aren't immortals so we'll live closer to them and that's why we've chosen europe to live in later on.

i hope i'm clear enough in my explanations because i haven't re read myself and i sound confused.
K
19 March 2008 03:01
Ha ha no it's clear enough and even it seems logical..

Good luck in your life.
K
19 March 2008 23:38
Anybody else? winking smiley
K
22 March 2008 16:56
Here is some good news for people who think about immigrating to ONtario and speak french as us the Maghébains.

News Release
Government of Canada announces funding to help francophone newcomers settle across Ontario
Ottawa, March 20, 2008 — Pierre Lemieux, Member of Parliament for Glengarry–Prescott–Russell, on behalf of the Honourable Diane Finley, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, today observed the International Day of La Francophonie by announcing funding for eight organizations to provide settlement services to immigrants in French in Ontario.

The announcement was made on the International Day of La Francophonie, a day that highlights the importance of promoting the diversity of languages and the richness of the French culture in the world.

The funding of more than $7.4 million will help provide settlement services for an estimated 1,500 French-speaking newcomers. These services include language training, orientation, translation, referrals to community resources, counselling and child-minding. Funding will also go toward research, coordination and outreach projects that support the settlement of Francophone immigrants in Ontario.

“For a new immigrant, language can be one of the most challenging barriers to overcome,” said Minister Finley. “This new funding will ensure that Francophone immigrants in Ontario have access to the support they need in a language they understand.”

“Our government supports the Franco-Ontarian community and we want to help the community grow and attract French-speaking newcomers to Ontario,” said Pierre Lemieux. “Settlement funding and programs allow newcomers to contribute to the visibility and vitality of official-language minority communities.”

Andrée Lortie, president of La Cité collégiale, was delighted with the announcement.
“This investment is great news for newcomers and for Ontario’s Francophone community. Knowledge of the language and finding a good job are keys to successful integration,” she said. “With the training that La Cité collégiale offers, newcomers will be able to learn new skills and contribute fully to the economy of the region and the province as a whole.”

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is committed to supporting the vitality of francophone minority communities. In keeping with its Strategic Plan to Foster Immigration to Francophone Minority Communities, CIC is working with partners to develop pilot projects to foster immigration to Francophone minority communities. The five-year plan, announced in September 2006, is aimed at attracting a greater number of French-speaking immigrants to regions outside Quebec, improving the capacity of francophone minority communities to receive francophone newcomers, and facilitating the integration of newcomers.

Settlement services are an essential part of the federal government’s immigration program. Through the Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement (COIA), the Government of Canada has increased settlement funding for Ontario by a total of $920 million over five years. Under COIA, Citizenship and Immigration Canada works with the province and immigrant-serving agencies to make a real difference in the lives of immigrants. In total, since 2006, the Government of Canada has begun investing an additional $1.4 billion over five years in settlement funding across the country.

CIC funds a number of programs that help newcomers settle, adapt, and integrate into Canadian society. These programs are delivered in partnership with provinces, territories and service-providing organizations and include the Immigrant Settlement and Adaptation Program, which provides orientation, referral and counseling services; Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada, which provides basic language training for adults; and the Host Program, which helps newcomers connect with volunteers who help them access services, establish contacts in their field of work and participate in the community.

This year also marks Québec City’s 400th anniversary. This is a historic event for Canada and for North America. It is from this date that we truly started to become what we are today. The Government of Canada is proud to contribute $110 million to the celebration and to partner in the organization of this event, because the founding of Québec also marks the founding of Canada.

For more information on the 400th anniversary of Québec City, visit the Government of Canada’s website on this historic event at www.quebec400.gc.ca

For more information on CIC’s programs, consult our website at www.cic.gc.ca.

For further information (media only), please contact:

Tim Vail
Press Secretary
Minister’s Office
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
613-954-1064

Madona Mokbel
Communications Branch
Ontario Region
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
416-954-7868

[www.cic.gc.ca]
b
25 March 2008 13:40
sbs2000
Try Europe its much better, close to Morocco, benefits are excellent. Im born an raised in Holland, the best choise my father has made, to move to Holland.

IK HOU VAN HOLLLAND!grinning smiley

A friend of mine is also going to immigrating to Candada, but she doesn't have a problem there. Only that it's verrrry cold in the winter. My advice: stay in morocco, our beloved country(tm), or else go to europe....
25 March 2008 17:34
Kabi101
Is there anyone of you who is living in Canada?

I want to know wich city are you living in (if you are in Canada) and how do you manage your life?

Even for those who don't live there, you can share your opinion concerning your vision that you have for Canada.

Hope to hera from you all.

Regards,

Kabi.

I believe life in Canada is very similar to the USA. From what I undertand.. If you choose to live in Quebec area, they speak french and it might be more european, I would love to visit Montreal. Sounds interesting to me.thumbs up
K
28 March 2008 05:31
" believe life in Canada is very similar to the USA. From what I undertand.. If you choose to live in Quebec area, they speak french and it might be more european, I would love to visit Montreal. Sounds interesting to me."

Not really, Life in Canada is not as similar as life in USA. in a ceratin way yes, but not in all the global view.

The Québec city is more europpean yes.. but Montreal it's a melting french-englishstyle, with a big mosaique of multicultural faces.

You will be welcome to Montreal.
s
28 March 2008 16:11
The best place in Canada, to live i think Vancouver. Im right
K
31 March 2008 03:03
"The best place in Canada, to live i think Vancouver. Im right"

It depends on your conception of BEST PLACE.

There are people who liked Calgary and Edmonton (Alberta) and others who are really satosfied in MOntreal (quebec) ,.. you can also find sommany people satisfied of the quality of life on toronto and ottawa (Ontario)...

So every place has its own charm . it depends on your degree of satisfaction and your definition of quality of life.
K
4 April 2008 19:58
Rank City Prov Average Family Income ($)
1 Ottawa - Gatineau ON 83,300
2 Halifax NS 70,300
3 Québec QC 61,100
4 Guelph ON 79,200
5 Fredericton NB 67,800
6 Kingston ON 67,000
7 Moncton NB 62,800
8 London ON 68,500
9 Victoria BC 66,700
10 Gander NL 76,200
11 Collingwood ON 60,500
12 Toronto ON 91,700
13 Winnipeg MB 66,100
14 Leamington ON 68,600
15 Vancouver BC 76,900
16 Saskatoon SK 70,100
17 Cobourg ON 65,800
18 Windsor ON 77,700
19 Brandon MB 57,300
20 Orillia ON 61,100
21 Kitchener ON 77,500
22 Hamilton ON 74,800
23 Montréal QC 65,800
24 Oshawa ON 82,500
25 Thompson MB 74,700
26 Peterborough ON 62,400
27 St. John's NL 72,600
28 Calgary AB 104,200
29 Corner Brook NL 62,800
30 Yellowknife NT 127,800
31 Edmonton AB 85,500
32 Port Hope ON 71,400
33 Joliette QC 55,300
34 Stratford ON 66,400
35 Lloydminster AB 89,800
36 Lethbridge AB 71,500
37 Kenora ON 73,100
38 Tillsonburg ON 65,700
39 Regina SK 74,900
40 North Bay ON 60,200
41 Victoriaville QC 56,900
42 Sherbrooke QC 54,600
43 St. Catharines - Niagara ON 63,100
44 Yorkton SK 58,100
45 Saint John NB 62,800
46 Rimouski QC 57,000
47 Magog QC 55,100
48 Whitehorse YK 97,300
49 Saint-Georges QC 55,000
50 Brantford ON 62,700
K
4 April 2008 20:05
It was the classification of the best places to live in canada.
K
4 April 2008 20:07
However, it is still a good list and as an immigrant you should look carefully where to live when you arrive in Canada. Here’s the top 10:

Ottawa (Ontario)
Halifax (Nova Scotia)
Québec city (Québec)
Guelph (Ontario)
Fredericton (New Brunswick)
Kingston (Ontario)
Moncton (New Brunswick)
London (Ontario)
Victoria (British Columbia)
Gander (Newfoundland)

From the list above, Ontario has 4 cities. Alberta, the richest province in Canada didn’t show any cities at all (based on the top 10). Calgary is the first city from Alberta but ranked 28. And why this happened?

Money is not everything. Calgary has the biggest average family income ($104,200) compared with Ottawa ($83,300) and is the fastest in population growth (Calgary 13.4% against Ottawa with 5.9%).

Looks like that if you’re planning to live in Calgary you could easily find a job (3.7% unemployed rate), but the cost of life there is more expensive. As an immigrant in Canada you should look for these elements and also consider taxes in Canada, transit in Canada, health in Canada, weather in Canada, jobs in Canada, etc
s
4 April 2008 21:43
Kabi101 Why are you so obssesed by Canada. Stay in Morocco, there is more chance to make than in any western countries. Morocco is a virgin, the economy is growing fast, FDI is massive, tourisme is growing, property is growing. If you invest now in Morocco your money will double.
K
5 April 2008 06:02
I'm not obssessed my sweetheart smiling smiley I'm just bringing informations for people whom interested winking smiley

Morocco is also a good country you are right.
a
7 April 2008 16:21
if your Money doubles and doubles not to forget MDH is useless outside Morocco.perplexe
k
8 April 2008 01:47
AssalamoAlaikom Kabi

I hope ur doing great there where u ‘r. Nowadays Canada becomes a new destination for immigration. Moroccans youth ‘r concerned to move there and they'r not forcibly the lonely. I guess ur well informed ab this country and as u said ur only helping many who ‘r planning to realize their dreams there. However I hope if u could inform them as well ab immigration issues & problems there so that they can make their minds the right way…
As u know in this Canadian Eldorado an immigrant might face different problems starting with job (Canadian gov doesn’t recognize foreign diploma & degrees----need to further study to homologate the certificates) integration problems, racism etc……
I remember 2 years back Moroccan channel (RTM1) broadcast a program ab Moroccans in Canada. Some of the interviewed said they were not satisfied ab immigration law which was discriminatory in need to be renewed………

Thanks
K
12 April 2008 06:34
Wa alaikoum salam

You are right, Canada is a good place to live, but not as easy as people could imagine. (By the way neither Eldorado nor paradise exist in the planet earth, not even in Morocco) Every country has its own charm and problems, but the good thing is to choose the one with as much less as problems and as much more as decents conditions of life.

What I can say concerning the negatives points of Canada is that:

The non-recognition of diploma:
Let’s put it in sincere words: Internationally, Canada actively recruits immigrants enticing them with promises of a better life and great job opportunities. The harsh reality however is that often when immigrants arrive here, employers expect them to have “Canadian experience” and many professional associations will not recognize their education or skills.

Canadian government has its own measurements for the foreign credential. Notwithstanding the qualifications and work experience immigrants have acquired in their country, they (immigrants) need to really do their homework on the applicability and transferability to the Canadian marketplace.

A new immigrant for a Canadian employer, is someone new with no historic at all –I’m not talking about those who don’t even take a look at your résumé (CV) and just throw it on the trash- as those persons are new in the country the employer find it hard to trust on their qualifications, he had to be sure that they talk same language (I mean technical words of Canadian jobs), and even so, the employer would like to be sure that those immigrants are aware of the relation between a superior and the colleague at work here in a North-American market.

Immigrants will be also surprised to hear that for some kind of job they are overqualified, that means you are much smarter for this position and employer wouldn’t like to find out that the immigrant dismissed form the position because he find another job better as he is overqualified and didn’t feel fit with the first job.

People will surely heard that “you have to begin somewhere in a sample job as cashier in supermarket or vendor in a Mall or so, before to find the right job corresponding to your training “.

Canadian policy makers are well aware of this and are working to put mechanisms into place to address this. More recently, Canada’s newly developed Innovation Strategy includes, as a key objective, “facilitating the assessment and recognition of foreign qualifications.” Provincial authorities have also introduced several policy initiatives.

I read recently that a new study from researchers at the Université de Montréal is recommending that Canada overhaul its immigration policy to favour younger candidates like foreign students and temporary workers, for whom foreign experience and credentials form less of a barrier.

"There is a serious lack of consistency between the government policy of wanting to attract qualified new immigrants to the labour market, and the reality that confronts those immigrants when employers refuse to recognize their experience and qualifications," the study finds.

And On May 10th, the Quebec government introduced Bill 14 to help facilitate access to various professional orders in Quebec.

[www.canada.com]

I strongly advise immigrants that to do all of their research prior to coming to Canada, so that they are fully aware of all of the issues ahead of time and can therefore plan their strategies around them, rather than have to face them with no ability to plan and react until they are already here.
Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook