Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Back to Morocco after years Abroad
D
23 May 2006 11:25
Hello people,

I am opening this new discussion because I feel most of us living in foreign countries, have always wished to pack our bags and head back home, find a decent job, a decent wife/husband and a good establishment among friends and family. But before we make such decision let's talk about the inners and outers of the consequences of such decision.

It happened to me about a year ago, I spent some two years in England, some time in the US and five long years in cold beatiful Canada, and one fine day i decided to fly back home. today I have drawn some conclusions that I would like to share with you, and would like other to share theirs to help other fellow moroccans think twice before they decide to return home.

so fellas and gals, let's ride on and tell us what you think

Driss
c
23 May 2006 14:22
Hi Driss,

Thanks for opening this post, I'm thinking of settling there so I'd be glad to here about the good sides and the inevitable pitfalls, the disappointments. I'm still weighing my decision, as I see the trend of people trying to leave, I'm having second thoughts asking myself that if people are trying to get out why I am trying to get in ?
So any insight from you or any other Yabiladian would be appreciated.
m
23 May 2006 14:59
f
23 May 2006 15:08
Hello everyone

well i guess i m qualified to talk about this subject smiling smiley i lived in the states for 8 years and during the last years the only thought i had in mind is going back home and get a decent job and live close to my family and get back the lost years so that's what i did i packed my staff and headed towards my home land thinking that this is the best thing that happened to me in long years two months after my arrival there was the biggest deception of my life it was on the personal side i m not going into details on this matter but the reason was bcz of the noroccan montality which influenced my personal life so #1 failure then i said Hamdou lilah for everything time to move on and concentrate on my job search .... finally i got one with Meditel as a computer engineer in casablanca so i had to move away from home again (Ifrane) but it was ok it was not a long ride to get home every weekend ... the salary sucked 7500 DH which was not enough at all so the rest of the month my parents sends me $$$ to finish the month sad smiley lovely huh and yeah before i forget it was a contract job for a year .... so the year was coming to an end i started looking for another job u might say i got lucky but wait and hear this out .... i got an offer with ONDA (Academie Mohammed VI de l'avaition civile) nice huh .... so i agreed with human ressource director on a salary of 12000 DH as a start i was happy with it but wait and see 6 months went by and i never got a single penny then ELBIaz was the general derector at that time he got kicked out and replaced by Mohammed Amal Egdira who stoped all the new recrutments smiling smiley more to come people smiling smiley just wait and see .... whenever i talk with my director he says not to worry about anything (le dossier est en cour) i dont know what the hell that means ..... one day my dad came over to give me some money because i was broke big time as we were walking out of the airport he met the dirctor of the airport who happens to be his friend so that's when they realised who i was and who my dad was .... this man called my director and told him .... so he knew he was not dealing with about anyone .... eventhough i never mentioned anything and i never ever let my dad nor anyone get involved in my problems and try to solve them for me .... anyways this guy called me to his office and we started talking and he said why haven't you ever said anything about your family i was surprised by this question my answer was i got this job for myself and noone of my family got it for me so i see no reason why i should mention anything so he goes i ll be very honest with you the general director stoped everything for the new recrutments i dont even know how i m going to pay you now for the 10 months you have worked with us smiling smiley hold on guys more to come smiling smiley so he put me as a temp employee so i can get payed and guess what i was not payed 12000Dh i was promissed i got 7000 DH a month lovely huh then i left to Ifrane and i swore that i ll never ever work with anyone in that country as long as i m alive i called my parents my brother came over packed everything from the rented appartment and moved back with my familly then i started working with my dad which had nothing to do with my education but i enjoyed the experience i got in getting contact with cx and i realized i was good at it smiling smiley anyways after a while that's when it started ti hit me i lost and waisted my life what am i doing there this is not the kind of life i want to have i have always been an independent woman now i have to relly on my parents and if i want to travel i have to get authorization as why where etc if i want to go out it is the same thing and if you feel down and u feel u want to get some fresh air alone in long walks that means something else back home there is no such thing as long walks then peopple start to talk and u imagine the rest after a while i got a very bad depression i never sleep 24/7 that's how bad it was so i started to see a doctor there he puts me on anti depression medecation so i started to sleep 20 hrs out of 24hrs a day that's how bad my depression was .... that's when it hit me what a waiste .... then the final dcesion came i can no longer stay there i packed my things one more time and this time headed towards Canada ... now hamdou lilah things are getting better but the one thing i learned from my experience there is if I DONT HAVE MY OWN BUSINESS TO RUN THERE I LL NEVER GO BACK TO THAT COUNTRY NEVER AGAIN it is funy it has been two years i never put my foot there and i think next year i ll go for a short visit and i m not doing it for myself not as if i miss that land it is all for my parents who did more than their best to help me and who supprted me on each and every way possible. so this is my story and i hope it will help some of you in your decesion .... thank twice.

with my respect
The times may seem dark & gloomy... but I know I have it on me, to make it to brighter days --- never lose hope Diminished Ovarian Reserve FSH: 5.7 LH: 2 17-06-2009: C3 ultrasound 7 antral follicules
T
23 May 2006 22:56
Salam all

To be very honest with you guys, I never thought of returning back to Morocco. I've been born and raised in the Netherlands and I can't imagine myself living somewhere else. Especially not in Morocco, because I really hate (sorry to say it like that) the mentality of the Moroccans. People are very ignorant and the women still get treated like second-class citizens, who don't get much respect. So it would be hard for me to live there, since I'm used to be treated with respect and kindness.

The last time I was in Morocco, it was in 1998. I left with mixed feelings. A part of me hated Morocco and a part of me loved it. The men were disrespectful, because I've been spit on, harrassed and pinched in the butt. Some even followed me to my house and my cousin had to chase them away. I realised that Morocco isn't safe for a woman, especially a woman from abroad, because they think women from abroad aren't like the Moroccan women. That they're very easy to get, if you understand what I'm saying.

However I would like to visit it, inshallah. Although I don't speak Arabic very well, I still would like to visit it. I still feel attached to Morocco. In the near future, inshallah/God willing, I would like to be a filmmaker and I would definitly (no doubt about that) would shoot movies in Morocco! My movies would be about Moroccans. For example the movie of Laila Marrakchi (Marock) is exactly the kind of movie I would like to make in the future. I loved her movie! Especially because it was shocking for most Moroccans! haha! She's a very good example of a person who likes to break the taboos and shock people with the truth.

Well, that's my story. smiling smiley

Tifah
a
23 May 2006 23:10
hope that you can achieve your dream and shoot movies in Morocco, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to do it just so you can chock people. There are so many facts and stories, historical, colonial time and before about Morocco that no movie maker tapped in yet, I hope you won’t limit yourself to only breaking taboos, and I hope your next visit will be better than the last one you described.
Salam,
Almot
Almot
f
23 May 2006 23:20
Hi all

The same for me, I am living in france for more than 16years now, and I studied in france! I am working in belgium now!
I think also that I will not go back to morocco,I grew up there and I know the hell...
The reason why I don' want to live there is not for money but as many said is about the mentality!

I do not see my self working for a moroccan! There is no respect!
If i go there, i thinl it will be a suicide, just because I cannot fit in there, my vision has nothing to do with their vision!
of course, I like to go there to visit, but not to stay for a long time!
in fact, when i feel down here in europe, I visit morocco november or octobre for 2weeks and i load the battery and i come back!

anyway, morocco doesn't want to see us back! that 's an utopie, a dream!

of course life in europe is not always easy, but i like my freedom, respect and human dignity!
T
24 May 2006 11:49
almotanabi
hope that you can achieve your dream and shoot movies in Morocco, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to do it just so you can chock people. There are so many facts and stories, historical, colonial time and before about Morocco that no movie maker tapped in yet, I hope you won’t limit yourself to only breaking taboos, and I hope your next visit will be better than the last one you described.
Salam,
Almot

Salam Amotanabi,

To shock people is not the only reason that I want to become a filmmaker. It's mostly because I want people to enjoy their 'trip' when they're watching my movies. Inshallah, the movies won't only be about Moroccans, but they will have a big role in my movies.

Thanks.
v
24 May 2006 21:46
Driss find a decent job, a decent wife/husband and a good establishment among friends and family.

Driss[/quote

So you are actually saying you cannot find a decent wife/husband out of Morocco?
s
25 May 2006 15:38
"I DONT HAVE MY OWN BUSINESS TO RUN THERE I LL NEVER GO BACK TO THAT COUNTRY NEVER AGAIN"

Thats what I said to myself after I realized it was impossible for me to deal with the moroccan mentality at work

But i DEFINITLY wanna go back there to open my own stuff...theres so many things to do out there, u just need money(like everywhere)
D
30 May 2006 16:51
fabaraw,

how would you feel if I tell you I know exactly how you felt, now you're in beautiful quiet (cold but who the hell cares smiling smiley ) Canada, I lived there for five years and all I miss is a quite evening walk in Vieux Port with my wife not speaking at all just holding hands and walking...Damn I miss it. anyway back to my real world, you have taken the right decision because people here have a serious problem valuing others, all they care about is themselves, my experince in this country falls into the exac same pattern as yours, except for me that I have quickly noticed the Director was a hack and a thief at the same time (explosive combination) and I walked away two months later. then I started looking for jobs, those decent jobs, only god knows how hard they are to find...and not a single opportunity yet. But to me jobs is not what fears me the most, my serious concern is how are we going to thrive with all this mess, you see some beatiful initiatives led by some serious and honest people, and in the other hand of balance is brimming with corruption and fraud and so on, so how are we gonna get better?

One other thing that you would have probably noticed, if you come from a background other than french you stand very little chances to make it to the Top, I mean seriously, you live in one of the leading countries of this world economicaly and socially and all the rest, you attend the best schools (I got a bachelor degree in Computer engineering from one of the best schools in Canada) and yet we cannot value your skills or at least your diploma, what on earth is that. the truth is only french schools graduates make it to because, believe or not, we are still very much attached to what I call Mother France ohh yeah, forget about the new management theorem you learned and practiced in College, forget about the english literature classes you got stuck with in freshmen years, forget about computer classes and english terminology, forget about readings in starbucks with a huge latté aside, all that is gone in Morocco the french call the shots, it's either therir way or the high way, because all you get in return is "Nous ne sommes pas en amérique...and a sarcastic smile". Please don't be fooled if you believe I have something against the french, on the contrary I like them most of my friends are french, but why is it that they have to tell us how we should live and play by their rules...
Bottom line, if you decide to return home find some time to open those old french books you brought with the first year, they've probably goten all dusty and yeallow in the sides, but they will remind you that it was time to return to sources, and the sources are now dusty and yellow on the sides.

there's no better advice I can give those who intend to return but this, I wan once in that same position you are in, and if i had the chance to pull back time I would think twice winking smiley

Driss1
r
2 June 2006 22:44
morocco is lovely country i' love it i want to spend the rest of my life thereand shair my experience in europe with those who wants to move forward,eawhen go there for holidays i feel jaloues my country is lovely sun shine nature organic delicius food..............
f
2 June 2006 23:12
Dear Rahiim
no one said anything about the country and everyone loves morocco it is our homeland remember that ... but life demands more than sunshine and delecious food even to have that you need jobs which will give you $$$$ and that doesnt exist there except in special cases .... i m sure you know what i mean.
R
4 June 2006 13:44
what luck for all person who decide and have the opportunity to settle back behind the sun of MOrocco ! winking smiley Good continuation
m
4 June 2006 19:26
I tought one want to live beyond accomplishing his or her biological duties.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook