Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Ahmed Bouzfour rejecte le PRIX du Gouvernement du Maroc
t
ted
26 janvier 2004 20:17
Le nouvelliste Marocain Ahmed Bouzfour a refuse le Prix du Gouvernement du Maroc:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

J'attend avec impatience les commentaires de KENNZA. Voila une reaction qui vient du Maroc et d'un Marocain vivant au Maroc.

'Unread' author spurns book award

A Moroccan writer awarded his country's top literary prize has rejected it, on the grounds that only a tiny few of his fellow citizens may get to read it.
Ahmed Bouzfour pointed out that his collection of short stories, Qounqous, had had a print run of only 1,000 in a nation of some 30 million.

"The very low literacy rate in Morocco is the main cause of my decision," he said, adding that he was ashamed.

Morocco launched a campaign against illiteracy in October last year.

Much of the population, particularly women and children, cannot read or write.

Mr Bouzfour said he hoped one day to receive a prize for his writing from a "government that wants and is able to eradicate illiteracy, to send all the country's children to school and ensure that they don't end up in the streets".

King Mohammed VI said last year that more than 12 million Moroccans could not read or write, including one in three children, and 2 million children below the age of five had no access to schooling.

Mr Bouzfour said he had not stopped to ask how much prize money was involved in his award - about $8,000.

However, the BBC's Pascale Harter reports from Rabat that his protest against the government will come at some personal cost, as writers in Morocco cannot hope to make much of a living with such a small market for books.

ted
S
26 janvier 2004 21:34

Ted as you said, it seems that this guy wants to earn a bunch of money out of his book but it did not work out. the circumstances in Morocco do not allow it, so he is protesting and making a lot of noise to attract foreign publishers to make a helluvaaaaaaaaa a lot of money (bling bling), we should be careful with that type of people man, when it comes to their interests they cry and protest and once they are satisfied , the dissapear.
take care Ted

and bu the way, are in Calgary or Edmonton, I am from Montreal
t
26 janvier 2004 22:57
En tout cas il a attiré l'attention à un phénomène grave: "Les marocains ne lisent pas" Même par rapport à nos voisins on est très loin par exemple de l'algérie en ce qui concerne le nombre tirages achetés par jour.
n
26 janvier 2004 23:27
I never had the occasion to read one of his books, what sort of personality Bouzafour is?
is it a provocation to be more famous? I don't think so.
But surely to point a problem which is illiteracy.

It's a paradox: to receive a literary prize in a hight rate of illiteracy? isn't it?

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Facebook