Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
When the American dream turn into a nightmare
C
18 December 2010 05:52
Hello/Salam Everyone
I'm a Moroccan been living in the USA since 1988.First came here on student visa,and later married to an American woman (real marriage) then got my green card and etc, I worked hard saved my money,then opened my business and was successful living the American dream for a while until disaster strikes.After 9/11 everything changed, thing went from bad to worse. Suddenly I found myself poor and struggling just to survive.I couldn't believe what was happening around me, overnight America become so inhospitable to Arab and Muslim.I tried to stay optimistic and keep hope alive,but that not easy when the so-called war on terrorism is still raging, and the recession is now turning into a depression.Clearly America is no longer a land of opportunities.Despite my experience I couldn't find a decent job, The only jobs available are minimum wage jobs, what we call here McJobs like working in mcDonald, or other fast food outlet or retails stores.Because my Arab and therefore Muslim name I never receive any response when I send out my resume or CV.On top this economic hardship Arabs and Muslim have to deal with wide open discrimination, before used to be subtle, but now it more aggressive like in your face type of discrimination. Any Arab or Muslim who tell that America is a great country is either a liar, a hypocrite or delusional.
I just just wanted to vent my frustration and maybe hear from some people who are going through hard like me.But seriously I've been thinking about going back home to Morocco for good, the problem I haven't been back there for long time,so i don't know if I still have my Moroccan citizenship, my last passport expired on 1999 and my CN expired 2009 both issued in New York consulat. Anybody have advice for me on how to how to go about it.I have good business idea I don't have star-up capital.
Anyway it's a long story. I'll write more about this later.
Thank you all for reading.

Best Regards
19 December 2010 00:36
salam / hello

live in peace and respect each other and different religion that what islam ask for.
about your idee to go to morocco and start new business that will cost you a lot of money.

to be continue....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 12:38 by ssaid.
h
29 December 2010 05:00
Your other choice is to try your luck in one of Canada's big cities. I live here and I've never been discriminated against. People might think ideas behind your back but they don't act on them like in the US. With your experience and good English you won't have problems up here. Try sending out some resumes first though and see what kind of responses you get. The only problem up here is the cold weather but you will adapt to it in no time.
29 December 2010 07:35
Try Australia, today it s the Australian Dream.
J
29 December 2010 07:41
Hi Captain Ahab,

Where do you live in US ?
That's quiet sad what you live there, but you should know that all minorities meet racism all around the world. You're not the only one, and regarding muslims people they all have the same trouble, even in Europ including Switzerland.

I have seen up there one of the yabi advised you to send in your cv to the Canadian companies. I think you should try and see before thinking going back to your origin country.

But take one thing in consideration, if everything went right in North Africa, I would not think that all of them would dream 'till now to leave there country. Most of the graduated moroccan are totally desperate, no job, no future, no money, nothing to make them wish they could succeed.

And most of them, did the same as you did (married with an European citizen), most of the time not for real (imagine the shame for the wife).

Moreover, why not to try to change your name, it could be a solution, and nothing would affect your religion. I mean you are in a trouble, so anyone could understand getting an american name !!!

And for your ID, sorry I can not advise you, I have no idea.

Thanks for letting us know which way you decided to work on.

Regards

Jiyène
" Lorsqu'on voit toujours les mêmes personnes, (...) elles finissent par vouloir transformer notre vie. "
29 December 2010 07:48
I think for your IDs you can still get new ones from the consulat
I guess you need to bring the expired one + the new required documents and apply for a new passport
you are still Moroccan at the end
P
31 December 2010 21:06
Salam
your story is really touching, it must have been hard for you to survive in such an ordeal, but thank allah that you are still holding on and you didn't lose faith.
i am just a little curious, how come you lost your business after years of hard work and saving money as you said, was it on account of bad management or what ?
and you wrote as well that you came to the us by dint of a student visa, then how did your studies go, can't they assure you a good joob now, or did you just abandon them halfway due to the expensive cost ?
thanks for clarifying those points fellow,
take care and keep in mind that we are your brothers, and we are here to listen to you, and help you chose the appropriate solutions.
Impossible Is Nothing smiling smiley

Platro
a
7 January 2011 19:43
Hey, cheer up man I really sympathise with you and others around the world. Don’t loose hope; while you are still healthy that is the greatest wealth.
Perhaps it is not what you want to hear, don’t do a “U” turn to Morocco yet, the country is still developing it is at the early stage and you will be depressed even more. Someone has suggested changing your name, it works I have changed them both first and last names; the problem only rises when I go back home I have to keep my old name (look at my old post about the subject) but that is ok for now. By the way you must change your ID for the new one, the passport is not that important at the customs as long as you have a valid one.
No one can make you feel inferior without your permission, remember that. If you are not happy where you are move on elsewhere even just to another area. I assume you have the citizenship.
Good luck
Adds adds jazz but never subtract music
k
11 January 2011 01:43
Dont focus on the negative things, america has been suffering because of the recession but its picking up...it ll be fine soon..now a lot of people lost their Jobs regardless of their background, you dont seem to understand why you cant find a job and the only explanation you find for yourself is that you are an arab or muslim? man the CEO of the cocacola company is turkish muslim...first of all moroccan are not arab or middle eastern...second, we speak languages and we have plenty of skills needed to succeed in the US...BTW you will never lose your moroccan citizenship...my advice to you is to go back to school and finish your degree it seems to me that you never did, be more qualified than a born american and you will get his job...if you dont like Mcdo Jobs then get qualified for better...experience is importanrt but degrees are more important everywhere you go...Good Luck.
c
18 February 2011 07:21
Salam

With all the respect I owe you. I think you are going a little overboard. I have been in the US for 15 years now, and just like you I lost a business that was bringing me a lot of money because of some stupid mistakes.

I learned one thing from life, you never chose between good and bad, you always find yourself forced to chose between bad and worse. You are considering yourself a poor person. At least you have a computer and a way to connect and interact with the rest of us.

After I lost my business 2 years ago, i was of course very sad because I've had it for 11 years, but at he same time I was very happy because now I don't sell Pork anymore. You may think I'm crazy but over all, as many of you do, I think that things happen for a reason. Remember, as we say the stick that doesn't break your back makes you stronger.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "The McJobs" as you call them. I know another Moroccan here in Oklahoma City that has been working for McDonalds for over 10 years, he has managed to buy a small apartment in Morocco and is the happiest guy I know. He has really inspired me.

What matters the most is not how much money do you make but mainly how much of it do you spend. There is nothing wrong with being poor, as one of my religious friends here said is God's way of putting you to test.

Of course I m not asking you to believe in every little thing I say, but at least wake up from your sleep if you want to get rid of your nightmare.

Good luck bro.
24 February 2011 08:01
First time I went to Time Square, I wanted to try the famous Hot Dog, then I saw an arab guy selling them who was Moroccan, very friendly (I had discount lool) Since then whenever I go to NY, I always go and see him, get some hot dogs from there and Chit-chat in Moroccan dialect. Very nice experience
M
5 April 2013 00:51
Hello, I'm terribly sorry for your hardship. I am just curious, what do you mean by "real marriage"? As oppose to a "fake, using people for papers marriage"? I'm married to a Moroccan man, who also struggles with the issues foreign, Arab men face here sometimes. Sadly, some of it has to do with society's idea that these men are marrying American women for illegitimate reasons like papers or economic gain. The fact that words like "real marriage" comes up seems like it is a common enough occurrence that one must differentiate between being here on one's own accord and being a loser trying to sucker someone into a free ride. For you, I feel badly. For those who come here using American women as if we are some sort of trash to be used and discard, I'm glad that they find that this isn't easy street.
M
21 April 2013 11:58
Please can you help me get this email to El Houcine Fardani at the Moroccan embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam. Many thanks for your assistance.

Dear Mr Fardani

My name is Mohamed Arsalani, a British national residing in Brunei Darussalam, south east Asia.

I am writing in reference to the article "Boujam'a died unnoticed", which appeared on 'hespress.com' Wednesday 17th April 2013. The article is about Boujam'a, a Moroccan descendent who lived all his life in Vietnam. He left behind a Vietnamese wife and two children. There is a family of 12 people related to Boujam'a living in a village called Dao Hoang, 150 km from Hanoi.

I would very much appreciate your assistance as I am planning to pay a visit to the family of Boujam'a in June 2013. This is a humanitarian visit to offer financial assistance to his family and close relatives.

For you information I have never been to Vietnam and don't speak Vietnamese. Thus I am contacting you to find out if you are able to coordinate this humanitarian endeavour to reach out for our Moroccan nationals.

I trust to hear from you shortly so that we can talk further about the assistance I need from your side.

Best wishes

Mohamed Arsalani
+6738801602
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei Darussalam
[email protected]
N
21 May 2013 18:56
Hi,

Sorry, for what you 've been going through. It must be difficult, ann i Do sympathize with you and your family. Racism is everywhere, in every country. You can find a solution to your problem, by remaining in the United States. I think there are more opportunities, there than in Morocco.

I live in France and my brothers have the same problem. One of them is an engineer but he works in an assembly line . He had been unemployed for two years before finding this job. The other became redundant two years ago ans is still unemployed. He met several bosses but no one gave him an opportunity to show his skills at work.

In Morocco. A lot of young graduates endure hardship, they can't find a job, have no money, no home, some live in the streets, have a shower once in a year. It's sad but it's true. They are completely desperate and their families too.

Going back to Morocco is not a solution. Do you have your family over there !? Have you got enough money to start up a business !?

You could move away, and try to find a job elsewhere, if you you are confronted with too much racism where you live.

Keep it up !

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook