Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
What are the Muslims countries doing to help the people of Palestine?
l
19 July 2005 16:24
Enough said I ask myself! There is not enough attempts been made from the 'high almight dicators'! They held 'submits' but all they do is make long speeches, show off their power and basically try to make themselves believe that they are trying to help the people of Palestine by fixing their problems! But what have they done I ask? They 'jews' are still building the wall to block people of Palestine, there are still fighting going on, they are killing and attacking people for no reasons....??? Well..!! I can't express my deepest sorrow for the people of Palestine and may Allah protect them, guide them and inshallah there reward will come soon...the State of Palestine!
v
19 July 2005 18:54
I also wonder what the Muslim countries are doing to help the people of Niger? They have terrible, terrible starvation there right now. There was a report on TV last night and my husband and I were both in tears. Those poor starving little children! It's unbelievable in this day and age - and you know Niger is not all that far from Morocco and Algeria. There were mothers watching their children die there and then in front of them and taking them off to bury. They have 'Medecins sans Frontieres' there trying to do something. Hopefully now it's been made public the aid will start to flow in - but how does it get as bad as that in the first place, in this day and age?
T
20 July 2005 19:57
Only the money which is sent by the richer countries to 'Tindouf'; to Algerian military pockets, some of it would save whole Niger. And a tiny amount of the money spent on arms by the mad, hysterical Algerian government, living in nightmares since 1963, would save poverty in Algeria and save whole Niger.
Arabs are finished long time ago, Israel possess nuclear weapons. Israel is capable of defeating Syrian and jordanian army and dropping a nuclear bomb on Egypt and Iran ... What would you choose for your people? would you choose a war with Israel? or give in and ask for peace.
I would love to take Israel as a friend and as an ally; my muslim neighbour Algeria has proved to me for 30 years, and still not willing to give up, with his hatred to my country, turturing and killing muslims in Tindouf, and his willingness to destroy and finish off my country, that he is a pure enemy that i shall never forget nor forgive.
the berber.
v
20 July 2005 21:43
There would be no poverty or starvation in the World if all the money spent on war and armaments was re-routed into wiping out poverty.
l
22 July 2005 12:25
Yes but the people in power are just interested in their own interests mostly, so what are we doing about it, I'm waiting to hear ideas. Non-violent ones please.
v
22 July 2005 13:37
Personally I think that we should get rid of all the male leaders of every country in the World and replace them with women! They are not daft enough to get into wars which are only going to cause misery to everyone on all sides. They won't want to be sending their husbands and sons to war to be blown to bits. Just a thought!
22 July 2005 20:55
volvofan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally I think that we should get rid of all
> the male leaders of every country in the World and
> replace them with women! They are not daft enough
> to get into wars which are only going to cause
> misery to everyone on all sides. They won't want
> to be sending their husbands and sons to war to be
> blown to bits. Just a thought!

That is as peacefull as it can get.lol
a
22 July 2005 21:03

Now volvofan you're just trying to get us to start talking like the french forums. you're trying to start some war here, i'm afraid even to touch that subject, do you know what the word ENTIFE means in morocco?, if not, well all moroccan men know it, it's what women do to man when they're angry at them, entif we chtif..aie aie aie...lol
salaam,
Almot
T
22 July 2005 21:53
Women in general can be just as cruel as men!! Women can be soldiers as well!! Look at the scandal in the prison in Iraq, isn't it a woman who was torturing the prisoners and behaving indecently? India had a woman prime minister, more muslims die in her time than in any other times, and more people starved in her time than any other times, plus she went to war with Pakistan. Women are even crueler than men, take for instance abortion; millions of babies their lives get terminated as result of abortion. Muslim countries have bad records at this.
The berber.
v
22 July 2005 23:28
Calm down everyone! It was only said 'tongue in cheek'!
v
22 July 2005 23:35
By the way - I have just watched another report on the Niger famine. Horrible......... horrible. One family of 6 killed a rat and were cooking it for dinner - between all 6 of them, and that was the first they had eaten in 2 days. They said even the rats are starving. They have to collect leaves from poisonous plants to eat, and try to get rid of the poison by boiling them for hours. The UN says it will take 2 months to set up an aid programme - far too late to help those dying in agony now. I am going to take my donation in to the Red Cross in the hope that they will be able to take action sooner.
m
25 July 2005 10:56
volvofan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally I think that we should get rid of all
> the male leaders of every country in the World and
> replace them with women! They are not daft enough
> to get into wars which are only going to cause
> misery to everyone on all sides. They won't want
> to be sending their husbands and sons to war to be
> blown to bits. Just a thought!

We had lady Thatcher and you known better than I. Falkland (Malaouines)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2005 02:39 by Krim.
v
25 July 2005 15:20
Yes, the good old Iron Lady. She should be PM now! She would soon sort out Bush! LoL.
Y
25 July 2005 21:43
Speaking of the Iron Lady, I had the chance few years ago to attend a session and to hear her speak about being a Woman, a leader... she was quite impressive! She talked about Poverty and how she started with almost nothing and earned every penny through hard work and perseverance!After all, she was a THATCHERsmiling smiley

On the same note; fellows, Has anyone of you seen the movie: The Girl in The Cafe.? It's an all British cast and a production of of HBO.

v
25 July 2005 22:13
Her father was a shopkeeper - a strange background for a girl to end up as Conservative Prime Minister. Ronald Reagan was terrified of her! LoL.
No I don't recall seeing that film Yani. Not that I can remember anyhow.
By the way, the UK has agreed today to send £1.5 million in aid to Niger - 20% of the total amount the UN says it needs. A bit of good news for a change.
a
25 July 2005 22:18
Hello yani,
It’s rare when I watch movies twice, but I did with The Girl in The Cafe, once by myself, and another with my wife. It’s a very good movie from all sides, story, acting, camera, seriousness and comedy also. Bill Nighy is unbelievable in this movie; his talent, confusion, and honesty bring a terrific character of a man torn between the world corporate and dishonest machine and the goodness of men. Kelly Macdonald was wonderful, too, what a great movie.. I highly recommend it to our friends in this forum with five stars*****
Take care…
here's a link to it:
[www.hbo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2005 10:19 by almotanabi.
Almot
Y
26 July 2005 07:36
Volvofan;

Indeed that's good news that The UN could get 20% of what they need for the fight against poverty in this particular case from just one donor.
Question: 1-How many countries are there on the actual list of donors? 2-Where does the U.S rank?

Almot;

The movie is just amazing. I, too, watched it with my wife and couldn't stop analzing...B.Nighy played his role to perfection...at a certain point, as an audience you're almost about to tell him " quit being so boring and dull and sad and dark and old and unhuman and unhappy and ughghh...." and that's the point I think he wanted his character to get to, to finally lead the audience to see why he's all those things!!! the second thing the audience wanted him to do is " OK! now, do something about it! will ya?" But then that's what the female character is there for! She doesn't really exist! She's the other part of his that was imprisoned and couldn't speak! when she says " ...when I was in prison.." as if he knew;or it wasn't news to him..." I thought that's the turning point! he was released from prison the moment she spoke!
It's a great movie that opens our eyes and make us think a "little"!

v
26 July 2005 11:52
No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong..............but I believe that 'per capita' the UK donates more to good causes than any other nation in the World. Have you seen the reports from Niger on the TV? It's just too horrible for words.
Is the film available on DVD do you know? I might do a search on Ebay.
v
26 July 2005 11:58
There are four copies on sale now. Having looked I remember now - we did watch that. It was brilliant - it was only on last week - my memory!
Y
26 July 2005 17:24
Sad to say the least about Niger! When I think other place and ppl we don't know about, it's just Sad. Glad you found the movie or remember it!
a
26 July 2005 22:15
I’m always surprised to see how little the rich Arab countries do to help in disaster cases likes these. There are many super rich Arab and Muslim countries who can for example by a snap of a finger alleviate the suffering in Niger, but they don’t. just like when the world was running to help the tsunami victims, these same countries, compared to similar or less rich countries in the west gave very little. I don’t understand how it could be, yet Islam is big on helping the needy and the poor. But one can also say that Islam is big on preserving the lives of innocents, too. What is the reason? Is a question to be answered some day…
And here’s a stupid idea I’ve been thinking about, why don’t Saudi Arabia announce to do world that it will take the Niger needs under its responsibility for the next 5 years? I know it’s kind of crazy to think like this, but you have to know that it will not affect the Saudi finances a bit…and so could Kuwait, qatar and Algeria...

And yani, I really like your analysis in regards to The Girl in The Café, it gave me an idea for our English forum, why not a post to share our Cinema views, what we think and what we like…I can already tell we will have in you some good analysis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2005 12:35 by almotanabi.
Almot
Y
26 July 2005 23:43
Good idea almot. I like movies and will what I can to follow. I'm sure we have enough ppl from whom we can learn a great deal in this regard.

As, to You idea about the Saudis "Sponsoring" Niger, I don't think it's such a bad idea, it's fictitious to the Saudis, but it's a more realistic one! it's their duty to pick up the bill in Niger..., since they cash on the pilgrimage season with no mercy. They should pay taxes to the rest of the Muslim world; or make it to the poorest ofth poor and what's a better case than NIGER.

I just received my National Geographic magazine this a.m and the cover story is:
AFTER OIL: Powering the future! The Golf countries better help the poor countries now! Oil is not gonna last!
m
27 July 2005 10:21
An HBO Films/BBC co-production, The Girl in the Cafè is both a romantic character drama with comedic elements, and a powerful political wake-up call by Richard Curtis, the acclaimed writer of Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill and Love Actually. Curtis' first film since Love Actually, The Girl in the Cafè literally addresses one the most important questions of 2005: Will this be the year when world powers seriously address the issue of world poverty once and for all? The film is a passionate plea to humankind - wrapped in a love story, a comedy and a unique drama. It is a call to arms that shamelessly sets out to entertain, inform and challenge audiences to act. Above all, the film seeks to raise awareness about the important political choices facing the G8 leaders at the next Summit, in Scotland in 2005, and for all of our actions to match our principles.

Set and filmed in London and Iceland (where the fictional G8 Summit of the film takes place), The Girl in the Cafè follows the journey of Lawrence, a lonely bureaucrat working for the UK's Chancellor of the Exchequer, after he meets an enigmatic woman named Gina in a cafè. After a couple of dates, he takes a chance and invites her on a weekend trip to Reykjavik, where he'll be working the G8 conference. His team's hope is to push an agenda the Millennium Goals agreed to at the 2000 G8, which if met will greatly decrease world poverty by 2015. This conference is especially crucial, as little has been pledged so far, but compromise is almost always a given.

As she learns more, Gina (to Lawrence's initial horror) becomes increasingly outspoken at the conference, challenging his boss, representatives of other nations, and even the English Prime Minister to do more to end poverty and save dying mothers and children. For his part, Lawrence begins to wonder who Gina really is, even as their physical connection intensifies. Lawrence's bosses warn him that Gina may cost him his job - the one thing he ever cared about until Gina. While the romance reaches a bittersweet place, Gina's courage ends up changing Lawrence's staid life - and perhaps even influences the politicians who wield the power to save millions of lives.

The two leads of The Girl in the Cafè are Bill Nighy, who turned in a memorable portrayal of the aging rocker in Curtis' Love Actually (he won multiple awards for the role, including BAFTA and LA Film Critics Association honors), and who will appear in the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and Kelly Macdonald, whose credits include Finding Neverland (as Peter Pan), Gosford Park, Elizabeth and Trainspotting. The Girl in the Cafè was directed by David Yates, who won numerous awards for directing the UK miniseries "State of Play." Yates is slated to direct the next "Harry Potter" movie, as well as the film version of "Brideshead Revisited."
d
27 July 2005 22:55
The Girl in the Cafe is really an excellent movie, I just saw it two weeks ago. in addition to the romantic story between the aged diplomat (B. Nighy) and the young lady, the movie showed, even in fictional way, how the members of G8 debate in their meeting, and how hypocrite they are.

Almot gave 5 stars to the movie, I think it is a little bit too much...

doukkali,

a
27 July 2005 23:29
OK, brother Doukkali, 4 or 3 stars, even two if that'll make my friend dokkali happy...lol
salaam,
Almot
l
28 July 2005 00:01
SAlaam,

Back to the people in Palestine... any ideas?

I think we can't wait around for richer countries to get a conscience, with regards to the arab world.

The issue for me is that the violence doesn't work, (and is haram in terms of killiNg innocents and suicides), but something needs to be done to help these people. Including Niger as well... you know there are Muslim charities as well out there that you could donate to as well? Not that I'm suggesting that the repuatbel aid agencies won't help Muslims as well, it's just that as a Muslim I would like to see a higher profile and more involvement of Muslim aid agencies, since it is such a big part of the religion to try and help the poor etc.

Any good ideas are welcomed, non violent and within the religion of course.

I don't think replacing all leaders with women would make much difference, unfortunately. Whoever the leaders are they need to have ethics, but to become a leader requires levels of cunnign and intellignece that sometimes don't allow for ethics (or have a completely different focus, such as remainign in power), at least in the current process.

Salaam.
a
28 July 2005 08:11
b
29 July 2005 20:22

The Saudis are busy building palaces in Morocco, and filling them with hoars and boys. You are not even allowed to walk past the palace in Temara, you have to walk on the other side of the road.

It will be a good idea if Saudi Arabia gives some of the money from the pilgrimage back to the poor of Niger and other starving countries.

And also ,the people that are planning to go to the pilgrimage this year,should postpone and give that money to these poor countries. The charity, surely, is better than wasting the money on this pilgrimage holiday, while the people are starving to death.
But I dont think the Saudis will give any money to the poor,they have made themselves bankrupt paying for the war against Sadam during the invasion of Kuweit.

Join Yabiladi on Facebook