Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
I want to speak English
c
16 April 2010 12:18
My English is not good, and i want to improve it. Who can help me ?
16 April 2010 15:29
Hi there,

Well, let me tell you one thing. The three sentences that you wrote in English are completely correct which leads me to think that your English is probably not as bad as you think.

For better fluency in English: try to talk as must as you can to any English speaking people that you can find around you. Do not be afraid of making mistakes; do not worry about your accent either; even if you don't lose it completely with time. If you have family members or friends who live with you, especially those who speak some English or at least understand some of it, try to practice with them (it would be beneficial for both parties). Pay visits to American/British centres in your area and force yourself to have discussions with the people that are working there. You can also go to some British/Irish pubs to meet with people... (Not advisable for young ladies)ptdr

To develop your hearing/understanding : watch English/American channels like the BBC or the CNN if you like the news. Try to listen to some music; there must be some songs that you liked but you couldn't sing. Now it is time to find the words yourself by listening to the song and check the correct version on the net. Learn to watch some American/English movies. It would be difficult in the beginning to understand everything but you’ll get used to it afterwards.

Develop your vocabulary by reading and writing. Start with the English version of your favourite magazines for example. Keep writing in decent forums like this one or reading the contributions of others. If you have a small English dictionary, try to learn five words a day. You will have over 1500 different words in a year time.

If all the above does not work, try "the pillow teaching approach"ptdr Get yourself an English speaking person as a partner! (Not recommended for married people).

However, if you understood every word that I wrote, then you don't need any help at all. It is me who needs to shut up!

Good luck!
c
16 April 2010 16:01
Proudly Moroccan,

Thank you for your advices !!

Hi hi I understood all what you say, but the problem is that is't very difficult for me to find the answer.

In fact, I have to pratice this language. I try with my husband, he studies English, but I stop rapidly, because my vocabulary is not " riche".

As you said I listen to music, I try to find the lyrics, and after I check!!

I also do some exercices on anglaisfacile.com, I think I have to read newspaper or magazine, it will help me to lean new words.

For the "the pillow teaching approach", I don't think my husband will appreciate this way to learn English, but may be it work for single persons.

I think in this few sentences there are many mistakes, but thank you very much for you help !!
17 April 2010 13:56
Hi Caja,

I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your English apart from very few mistakes, which are due to the interference of the mother tongue. Generally readers do not focus on the mistakes that you make but on the message that you are conveying. Practice makes perfect. you are on the right path; so keep practicing. Do not be a perfectionist; we all make mistakes while speaking or writing (even in our mother tongue). Practice with your husband as much as you can and if you are stuck do not give up , try to find the word that you are looking for by describing it in English or by using sign language as substitute for that word until your interlocutor understands and probably supplies you with the right word.

Having a husband who studies English is a blessing to you and that is what I referred to as "the pillow teaching approach", Except this time it is 100% legalsmiling smiley

Have a wonderful day!
29 April 2010 16:20
I WANT TO GO TO LONDON FOR STAYS LINGUISTIQUE - 6months

Urgent: I look for a collocation in London (3 months, 300€ in 500€ / month according to the nearness),
if you can indicate me runway and / or put me in connection with students and persons who work near London, I shall be grateful.
Marocainement.
Nasri

Ps I'm sorry Caja to aplly here
désolé Caja d'avoir perturbé vos échanges.
h
24 March 2013 16:21
sorry to say but I m in london from 14 Feb 13 n my english is not very well......pls suggest me wha can
I do I m vrry tense about ths . N i also jobseeker...
m
2 April 2013 08:09
Mourad hello everyone
The key is to leave the dictionary aside. Even the translation or the description from English to English is not helping. And also I will say do not go to school if you do your English will stay limited and weak. And also I will add do not read. reading is a big mistake why? Because it will mess up with your pronunciation. It is ok to have an accent but it is very bad to have a weird pronunciation. So the reading will make you have a bad pronunciation because you do not know how the words should be pronounced. And you never try to study the rules of pronunciation that will make you look unnatural when you speak English .it should came casually from your throat without any effort. And do not focus just on the news because they do not speak fast enough and you will not learn how to make a conversation or a dialogue . And also do not try to remember the vocabularies if you try you will forget them . The key is to hear it many times and it will stay in your mind without any effort and you will never forget it and it will pop in your mind when you need it. Do not do this do not do that so what is the solution? I just want to give you the path for strong English and this is my way:
m
2 April 2013 08:42
First of all me too I’m still learning English so I’m not all set I need to improve it more. So this is my way the key to start is two elements:
1- Try to learn the basics and the essentials of the grammar and here is an advice to you. do not try to understand everything and do not struggle to understand when to use everything just know that it is there . For example the verb know . just keep in mind that in the past we can use it in many different ways like : I knew , I did know and I have known but do not try to understand when to use each one another example for eat : i eat , I’m eating , I will be eating , it will be eaten … so that will take you just 1 week to look at the grammar the key is that when you listen you will see how the Americans use the vocabulary and you will understand when to use each one in a natural way
2- You need a small amount of vocabulary which you already have
So what is my solution? My solution is watch the movies movies movies over and over again and you never stop through them you will learn: huge bunch of vocabularies and when to use them appropriately and at the same time you will learn the pronunciation by how they speak the words. You will also learn the grammar by how they use it .you will be able to make any kind of conversation with ease and confident. And you will train you ear to understand fast English speaking and you will master the spoken English that you need .how to get the movies ? get a membership with Netflix.com it is only 8 dollars per month and you will watch unlimited movies from your laptop or TV or write me to show you how to get movies for free by using torrents ( illegal way but you will be able to download any movie you want )
M
21 April 2013 11:53
Please can you help me get this email to El Houcine Fardani at the Moroccan embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam. Many thanks for your assistance.

Dear Mr Fardani

My name is Mohamed Arsalani, a British national residing in Brunei Darussalam, south east Asia.

I am writing in reference to the article "Boujam'a died unnoticed", which appeared on 'hespress.com' Wednesday 17th April 2013. The article is about Boujam'a, a Moroccan descendent who lived all his life in Vietnam. He left behind a Vietnamese wife and two children. There is a family of 12 people related to Boujam'a living in a village called Dao Hoang, 150 km from Hanoi.

I would very much appreciate your assistance as I am planning to pay a visit to the family of Boujam'a in June 2013. This is a humanitarian visit to offer financial assistance to his family and close relatives.

For you information I have never been to Vietnam and don't speak Vietnamese. Thus I am contacting you to find out if you are able to coordinate this humanitarian endeavour to reach out for our Moroccan nationals.

I trust to hear from you shortly so that we can talk further about the assistance I need from your side.

Best wishes

Mohamed Arsalani
+6738801602
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei Darussalam
[email protected]

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook