Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
priciples' cricis
s
7 November 2006 22:04
hi everybody,
Recently, I've noticed that our society is getting from bad to worse. One walks in the street with the risk either of being rubbed, harrassed or at least getting insulted. Our young generation doesn't know what is respect of others. The way they talk to each other, to their parents is so disrespectfull. They don't make the difference between talking to one of their peers and someone older than they are. I'm not a feminist but, sorry to say so; boys these days are unbearable. They are irresponsible, lazy and dependant. Most of them want everything without any effort. Be sure I'm not talking out of the blue. what is worse is that the future of our country relies on them; the coming generation. To make it clear, I'm talking about teenagers between 13 and 19 years old. To crown it all, TV manipulates them and teaches them futile things and they repeat them blindly like parrots. Our children take everything for granted. they have lost the notion of good and bad. So whose fault is it; family, society, media, school ...or what? In a nutshell, our young men have adopted a negative attitude towards, studies, society and life in genral and they've become rebellious and disruptive. Did u notice that or am I only daydreaming and imagining things?
A
8 November 2006 20:58
I agree with you shushita the young generation looks like they are more aggressive, lazy and disrespectful. But on the other hand, isn’t that exactly how my generation was perceived by the older one? I remember the old folks looking at us growing up and turning their eyes in disbelieve, we were called devils also.
What I’m trying to say is that it’s most likely a generational thing. With each passing generation, we gain some things and we loose some things. “ewa allah yehdihoum”
Peace,
Almot
r
9 November 2006 12:12
You're right Almot.
however the point shushita makes about harrassment and aggressiveness is true. Back in my days we used to chat up girls, saying nice things, you know teenager stuff... I went to Morocco last year, during the summer, and the boys were behaving differently towards the girls, you know, saying bad things like "whore" and things like that, some even spat on them. I don't remeber that behavior in my times.
k
9 November 2006 13:32
i agree with all of you guys: disrespect does seem to be on the rise, but it's also, as almot said, down to the "generational gap": previous generations do seem to view the next generations as less respectful, less working, lazier, etc.... but that's mostly due to the fact that expectations change over time, in line with behaviours, which also change to reflect the changes taking place in society and in the world broadly speaking. look at it this way: since it is agreed that the societies that we live in shape us as individuals ( as we are the products of our environment), they also shape our behaviours by dictating the values and providing the models that underpin them. this is just natural and takes place all over the world, so it's not a specifically moroccan problem.
however, to revert to riffman's point about guys' agressivity and lack of manners (to say the least) towards girls, i have to say that the extent to which this agressivity goes sometimes never ceases to shock me: i've been called all the names under the sun for refusing to speak to guys on the street ( who would then grab me by the arm and try to drag me god knows where); their reasoning seems to go something like this: "if you don't speak to me, you despise me, so that gives me a right to despise you too". but sadly, i don't think that this is new, as i and other girls have been the targets of guys of all ages, ranging from the very young to the very old,sometimes as old as my own dad (who's nearly 60!): so the generational gap doesn't apply here, i think it's more to do with the machist culture that regards women as simple objects of sexual desire, to be "used and thrown as you go". allah izidna sbar man aandou!
s
10 November 2006 21:46
i can't denny the fact of generation gap and the different ways thinking between adults and teenagers. however, for me it's more a matter of education than anything else. We once were teenagers/adolescents and boys were not that disrespectful. I remember my classmates could never raise their voice on the teachers or talk to them like their peers. I'm not taking the part of the other generations, but take a look around you. What aches me is that media has a great share in that. they broadcast programs with low language and no theme at all. take the examples of Ramadan TV shows. they were of so bad quality and helped a lot in the deviation of most of the boys and girls as well.
let alone that parents don't devoute so much time to educate their children. they're concerned more with gathering money and other things than their kids. I don't blame them, they want to have a better life, but in their quest of their aspiration they forget their own flesh.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook