Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
New job!
I
5 November 2005 17:46
Hi everyone,

do you think sometimes to change your profession?....to stop doing the work you’ve done until now and think about studying or traying something different?...if there is somebody who had the courage to take the risk to change her/his job and to start something new please tell us about your experience......what did your family/partner say about your decision?......were you happy with it or did you regrete it?..........
c
5 November 2005 19:11
Hi Ilhem2,

Yes I´m one of those people you´re talking about. I worked some years with different employers especially in Restaurants as a waiter. Then I got tired of it and I realized how hard I worked for so little, and that I can´t do that the rest of my days.I then started studying to be a dairy technician. That took me 3 and1/2 years, and before that I had to take a new high school degree in science. Cause the one I had in morocco was in modern litterature based on languages, history etc.
I can tell you it´s hard but not impossible. After that I worked for nearly 3 years, before I realized that I need to study further 2 years to get much better and attractive jobs, so I quitted a very well paid job to continue my studies.
I never regret it. If there is anything you need to know about my experience in that matter, feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to help.

Cali
Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things. Russell Baker
a
6 November 2005 13:35
Hi Ilhem2

I have university degree from casablanca In biologie & geologie,I had an evening cours in Informatique which i did for 2 years. I moved to danmark like cali.. i got a job in graphic worked 6 years . my wife was studing so i never thought about changing cause I was the daddy bringing the money to the house..after my divorce. got some though that i dont like to see my self doing the same job after 10 years. so i quiet got a 2 years education in It "programming" then when I finished I got a job for a small company for 6 month.. enough to give me the idea i can do the same like those people. so i started my own company in web hosting.. run it for sometime didn´t work cause of the concurance.

so i started another company with food through the internet..wich working alhamdo lillah not that bad.. and i am looking for the bright side..

I never had that feelling just waking up and know i am doing that for my selv.. i dont have a bosss..

i work more that usuall but what man to do .. as far I am happy ..rest wont matter .

by the way Ilhem2... if you are not happy in your work.. you wanna change just do so.. Allah will help you.

i know sometime you have the fear of may be you next working place is not all that.. there is only one way u know. and most important thing chase you happiness.. your dream .. or even die trying.. cause u will really regret it if you dont do so..

aziz_dk

ps. I never regret my choice .. i am pissed i did not do it earlier.. i wasted so many years try to feet in..
just do what your heart guide you to do.. Inshallah you will succed.

*******Cali*******
is there anything you didn´t do hehehehe?????
mashallah .. we came here, we learned the language..
got different jobs.. educate our selvs ..cause they didn´t approve of our exams from back home..
and we still keep trying ..!!!!but i will give up on day !!!when i die hehehehe..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2005 01:37 by aziz_dk.
c
6 November 2005 15:07
As you know Aziz, I also realized that I was the only one who could do anything to change my own situation to a better one. So my advice to Ilhem, is off course to find out how is the economic situation going to be during the time of studies and then go for it. Even if it costs money cause what you gain cannot be measured in money.
Aziz you probably experienced that too, but I feel that I gained a greath deal of respect also from all my former superiors and collegues, because of my struggle. They also called me and said that I could always call them for professional and technical advise and help. And believe me that feels good.
a
6 November 2005 22:30
Cali to take that step is not easy!! cause I m alone in this country, it means if i need anything i have only my self to go back too.

I have prepared saved some money for that specialy starting up a biz from the buttom.

but as you said when time goes by and get good fedback from people around you.. there is a smile in your face that no money in this planet can buy..
i know about the feeling you have Cali..

aziz_dk
I
9 November 2005 12:37
salam everyone,

Thanks a lot cali and Aziz for telling us your interesting experiences…it’s quiet brave to decide to change your carrier and to start something new….it could be a big risk….I’m working in the tourism area …when I was studying tourism management I loved it….I had a lot of fun studying with students from many countries….I was dreaming to work in travel’s world …with people from different culture ….to speak many languages…I was excited to travel to explore so many attractive destinations but also I was determined to promote may country and to show its nice part to the whole world………I worked in many areas …tour operating….travel agencies….tourism exhibitions …and consulting….at the begin it was interesting because I was curious …I was willing to achieve something…. now when I gained some experiences I discovered that the reality is different from dreams …..the industry is hard…high competitive und has got little to do with relaxation or pleasure for people working in it…can you imagine 80% of the profit from a travel package goes to the outgoing country …the destination with its nature …culture…history …ect gets only 20% …it’s an exploitation!!!! Particularly for non industrial countries such as Morocco!!!!

I realized that it’s hard for me to cup with the moral side of this profession….when you see people from rich countries are traveling to the poor countries for prostitution …homosexuality…pedophilia…how can accept it?...it’s sad…

I do love this work but it’s difficult to do it with honesty …you get always to lie otherwise you won’t sell and make profit… my family said that I shouldn’t car about it …such things will never stop…but it’s not easy to see things like that and to ignore it….

I’m thinking to switch to something different but …it’s not that easy that seems to be!!!.....
c
9 November 2005 14:38
salam Ilhem2,

It´s interesting to hear about your experience, although we know quiet a lot about tourism but you illustrated something new. I understand that your familly thinks that you shouldnt care about it cause you can never tell what intention a tourist has. And after all you have to earn a living. But a person wants also to be proud of what he does. Today´s job is not just a place you have to be in from 8 Am to 4 AM, and get paid once a month. Today´s job is in a way what we are. It has to make a sence to us, we need to feel that we have a role in a society. And how can you be proud of something that´s not fair, or that doesn´t make a sence. So I do understand how you feel. And to be honnest with you, the time where people only has one education has gone. Less and less people are going to be doing the same job the rest of their lives. Cause everything is going so fast. Ruther invest 2 or 3 years in an education and be happy the rest of your life than keep the same job and be sad. Off course one has expeces, responsabilities etc, but to everything there is a solution. For not so long ago a friend of mine and I have calculated how much this education will cost us. Adding what we could have earned these 2 years, plus the books, the pc, the lab fees and we have invested from what we have saved( to pay transportation to this town, storing furnitures, lost deposit from old appartement etc.....) All of it toghether is a price of a good house here in Denmark or a villa in Morocco. But of course you can´t see it that way, and it´s not a house that´s going to make a difference in your life. Although it´s a good investement.
So my advise to you, if you have any possibility, take advantage of it and don´t let it go.

cali
I
12 November 2005 03:43
Hi everybody,

cali a écrit:
-------------------------------------------------------
> salam Ilhem2,
>
> It´s interesting to hear about your experience,
> although we know quiet a lot about tourism but you
> illustrated something new. I understand that your
> familly thinks that you shouldnt care about it
> cause you can never tell what intention a tourist
> has. And after all you have to earn a living. But
> a person wants also to be proud of what he does.
> Today´s job is not just a place you have to be in
> from 8 Am to 4 AM, and get paid once a month.
> Today´s job is in a way what we are. It has to
> make a sence to us, we need to feel that we have a
> role in a society. And how can you be proud of
> something that´s not fair, or that doesn´t make a
> sence. So I do understand how you feel. And to be
> honnest with you, the time where people only has
> one education has gone. Less and less people are
> going to be doing the same job the rest of their
> lives. Cause everything is going so fast. Ruther
> invest 2 or 3 years in an education and be happy
> the rest of your life than keep the same job and
> be sad. Off course one has expeces,
> responsabilities etc, but to everything there is a
> solution. For not so long ago a friend of mine and
> I have calculated how much this education will
> cost us. Adding what we could have earned these 2
> years, plus the books, the pc, the lab fees and we
> have invested from what we have saved( to pay
> transportation to this town, storing furnitures,
> lost deposit from old appartement etc.....) All of
> it toghether is a price of a good house here in
> Denmark or a villa in Morocco. But of course you
> can´t see it that way, and it´s not a house that´s
> going to make a difference in your life. Although
> it´s a good investement.
> So my advise to you, if you have any possibility,
> take advantage of it and don´t let it go.
>
> cali

cali,

thanks a lot for your answer ....and I agree with you about many points you‚ve mentioned....it’s true that nowadays it’s much intelligent to have many education for more flexibility....I also found it true that the job you’re doing reflects most of the time what you are .....perhaps this is exactly the reason why I’m afraid to tray something else because tourism was always what I wanted to do....I always loved to be with people from different background ...and travelling is my preferred hobby so it will be probably difficult for me to have success in other area....the other thing I’m worrying about is the financial side ...as you've said before new studies could be a serious investment not only money but also time and energy....and I found your way to see this point quiet interesting because on the end only the once satisfaction and “ happiness“ is important..........

The only areas that seem attractive to me are the IT...but unfortunately I’m not that good in it....the health is interesting too....but I hate seeing people suffering ...I mean psychologically is not easy for me to cope with that....and finally child care .....but I’m not that patient to care about many children in the same time...I love children but not too many everyday and for longtime smiling smiley......

It’s just difficult to make the right decision.....may be there are other interesting areas but I don’t know theme............I’ve got to find more information about this subject......anyway thanks again cali for your advises...

c
14 November 2005 03:24
Hello Ilhem,

I understand your concernes,but I think that also depends on where you leave and what options you have. But just remember , nothing is impossible and it´s never too late.
Z
14 November 2005 04:17
well i just am in !

i have an education in management, but got a position mainly in computers

so i will gibe a shot and let u know tomorrow smiling smiley

Ilhem2 a écrit:
> Hi everyone,
>
>
> do you think sometimes to change your
> profession?....to stop doing the work you’ve done
> until now and think about studying or traying
> something different?...if there is somebody who
> had the courage to take the risk to change her/his
> job and to start something new please tell us
> about your experience......what did your
> family/partner say about your decision?......were
> you happy with it or did you regrete it?..........

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
c
14 November 2005 16:02
Hi Zouhair

We can´t wait to hear smiling smiley
a
14 November 2005 22:59
Ilhem2 a écrit:
> Hi everybody,
>
>
> cali a écrit:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > salam Ilhem2,
> >
> > It´s interesting to hear about your
> experience,
> > although we know quiet a lot about tourism
> but you
> > illustrated something new. I understand that
> your
> > familly thinks that you shouldnt care about
> it
> > cause you can never tell what intention a
> tourist
> > has. And after all you have to earn a living.
> But
> > a person wants also to be proud of what he
> does.
> > Today´s job is not just a place you have to
> be in
> > from 8 Am to 4 AM, and get paid once a
> month.
> > Today´s job is in a way what we are. It has
> to
> > make a sence to us, we need to feel that we
> have a
> > role in a society. And how can you be proud
> of
> > something that´s not fair, or that doesn´t
> make a
> > sence. So I do understand how you feel. And
> to be
> > honnest with you, the time where people only
> has
> > one education has gone. Less and less people
> are
> > going to be doing the same job the rest of
> their
> > lives. Cause everything is going so fast.
> Ruther
> > invest 2 or 3 years in an education and be
> happy
> > the rest of your life than keep the same job
> and
> > be sad. Off course one has expeces,
> > responsabilities etc, but to everything there
> is a
> > solution. For not so long ago a friend of
> mine and
> > I have calculated how much this education
> will
> > cost us. Adding what we could have earned
> these 2
> > years, plus the books, the pc, the lab fees
> and we
> > have invested from what we have saved( to
> pay
> > transportation to this town, storing
> furnitures,
> > lost deposit from old appartement etc.....)
> All of
> > it toghether is a price of a good house here
> in
> > Denmark or a villa in Morocco. But of course
> you
> > can´t see it that way, and it´s not a house
> that´s
> > going to make a difference in your life.
> Although
> > it´s a good investement.
> > So my advise to you, if you have any
> possibility,
> > take advantage of it and don´t let it go.
> >
> > cali
>
>
>
>
> cali,
>
> thanks a lot for your answer ....and I agree with
> you about many points you‚ve mentioned....it’s
> true that nowadays it’s much intelligent to have
> many education for more flexibility....I also
> found it true that the job you’re doing reflects
> most of the time what you are .....perhaps this is
> exactly the reason why I’m afraid to tray
> something else because tourism was always what I
> wanted to do....I always loved to be with people
> from different background ...and travelling is my
> preferred hobby so it will be probably difficult
> for me to have success in other area....the other
> thing I’m worrying about is the financial side
> ...as you've said before new studies could be a
> serious investment not only money but also time
> and energy....and I found your way to see this
> point quiet interesting because on the end only
> the once satisfaction and “ happiness“ is
> important..........
>
> The only areas that seem attractive to me are the
> IT...but unfortunately I’m not that good in
> it....the health is interesting too....but I hate
> seeing people suffering ...I mean psychologically
> is not easy for me to cope with that....and
> finally child care .....but I’m not that patient
> to care about many children in the same time...I
> love children but not too many everyday and for
> longtime ......
>
> It’s just difficult to make the right
> decision.....may be there are other interesting
> areas but I don’t know theme............I’ve got
> to find more information about this
> subject......anyway thanks again cali for your
> advises...
>
>
>

salam

I guess the hard thing is to try to find out what u wanna be!! or what to study!!

let me help you.. you mention IT .. people think It is programing and codes Cocacola and stay front of computer for hours but is not the case.

you can actualy take an education in the evening so your just have to invenst in time and hard work.
you can try to be web designer or graphic designer, the good hing about it you can work home if in the future you have kids and you want to stay close to your kids.

what about working with integration or foreigner in your home town.

as Cali said.. nothing impossible and you can do what ever you wish, as far as you plan it and you gonna get there Inshaallah.

aziz_dk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2005 03:32 by aziz_dk.
a
15 November 2005 10:19

hi ilham,

I am in such situation as u, i am a software ingineer and i wanna to change my job. my idea is to make an MBA (master of business administration). I think , It is the most suitable solution for u ad me.because MBA let us have a strong professional education . the problem is the cost (money and time). but i think if we are motivated we can deal with this.
Z
16 November 2005 00:33
Hi Almo3tassim,

my case is a little bit adverse to yours, I had a bachelor degree in business administration, and I would probably go for an MIS, master of information systems rahter than an MBA. why ? because i feel a need for change, and MIS is one of the fields of tomorrow, as finance and international trade.

Hey cali, it was a beautiful experience with nice people.

Yesterday I lost my keys inside the car, so it was a tought ending, cause I was back home until 1 pm, I went dead to the bed

Today, I am feeling more confortable, besides the fact they you have to go to the lab sometimes to check and matche the serial numbers of guns compared to their documentation.

I wont tell you how is security enforced there., like we are working in a vault !
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
I
19 November 2005 16:29
salam Evryone,

> salam
>
> I guess the hard thing is to try to find out what
> u wanna be!! or what to study!!
>
> let me help you.. you mention IT .. people think
> It is programing and codes Cocacola and stay front
> of computer for hours but is not the case.
>
> you can actualy take an education in the evening
> so your just have to invenst in time and hard
> work.
> you can try to be web designer or graphic
> designer, the good hing about it you can work home
> if in the future you have kids and you want to
> stay close to your kids.
>
> what about working with integration or foreigner
> in your home town.
>
>
> as Cali said.. nothing impossible and you can do
> what ever you wish, as far as you plan it and you
> gonna get there Inshaallah.
>
> aziz_dk
>

aziz_dk,

thanks for encouragement....I was thinking about web or graphic designer too but I've heard that it's not demanded as before....I've been told that there are a lot of skilled people but not enough jobs in those areas......however your idea to work with foreigners is interessting.....I need to found out more about this subject.......
Z
19 November 2005 16:33
HAve you tryed the temporary carreer companies ?
I
19 November 2005 16:39
almo3tassim a écrit:
> >
>
> hi ilham,
>
> I am in such situation as u, i am a software
> ingineer and i wanna to change my job. my idea is
> to make an MBA (master of business
> administration). I think , It is the most suitable
> solution for u ad me.because MBA let us have a
> strong professional education . the problem is
> the cost (money and time). but i think if we are
> motivated we can deal with this.

salam almo3tassim,

I've got already a master in Tourism Management....it's similar than MBA with a small difference.... MBA is the business administration generally....no matter which product.....my master is in the busniss administration focusing on tourism product....but it's true the MBA could oppen you many doors...as you said it costs a lot of money....however if you really believe it will help you I'll advise you to do it.....
I
19 November 2005 16:47
ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma a écrit:
> HAve you tryed the temporary carreer companies ?
>
> The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have
> promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …

salam ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma,

I did...I mean not realy carrereer companies but a sort of councilors....who are there to help people to find there way in the job market...they almost advise me...health care or child care...but as I said before it's not what I want ...you know what ...I was talking with a friend about it & she's got an idea!...she asked me why do I not open a coffee shop!!!!!!!....in fact it's not a bad idea at all smiling smiley....
Z
19 November 2005 22:21
Hi ilhem2, many think that a cofee shop or a restaurant, more broadly a fast food business does not have to merit high education, in a matter of fact; nowadays, managing a cofee shop or similar is a challenge of a piece of art, people are more competing about the quality of service, the environement, timeliness and last but not least the ingredient. Yes with your tourism Master, you can have an edge because you already underlined the stereotypes of customers.

The bottom line is interesting too, I know people who run small restaurant, with basic menu are making net profit of 6k after 8 months of operation only !

the purchase cost was 350k

You will break even and get extra profit for 82ks after 5 years operability

This assuming that you will not have more profit about the 6ks/ months which is very improbable since u can get more by extending the service value.
m
20 November 2005 21:16
Hi Ilhem2

I am in the same situation as you. I got my bachelor degree in business administration with a major in Management Information Systems.
Then i worked in MIS (Financial applications) durin three years.
I did not like it so far. I have decided to start a graduate diploma
in Management with a major in Finance-Treasury and work in the finance field or management. It is not easy (Time + Money). In addition to that it is hard to go back to shcool and concentrate.

I whish good luck.
I
23 November 2005 04:39
ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma a écrit:
> Hi ilhem2, many think that a cofee shop or a
> restaurant, more broadly a fast food business does
> not have to merit high education, in a matter of
> fact; nowadays, managing a cofee shop or similar
> is a challenge of a piece of art, people are more
> competing about the quality of service, the
> environement, timeliness and last but not least
> the ingredient. Yes with your tourism Master, you
> can have an edge because you already underlined
> the stereotypes of customers.
>
> The bottom line is interesting too, I know people
> who run small restaurant, with basic menu are
> making net profit of 6k after 8 months of
> operation only !
>
> the purchase cost was 350k
>
> You will break even and get extra profit for 82ks
> after 5 years operability
>
> This assuming that you will not have more profit
> about the 6ks/ months which is very improbable
> since u can get more by extending the service
> value.
>
> The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have
> promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …

salam ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma,

I think so too....but what I want to do should not cost as much as you said (350ks)....I'm thinking in taking a franshising....you know those kind of coffee shops such as Gloria jeans....as fanchisee you get avery thing set by the franchiser ....even the training for how to use the cofee machines...how to satisfy the hygien requierements...ect...the marketing and the management included...I also don't want to make reataurant...it's to much work smiling smiley....the best is to focus on drinks & small thigs like sandwishes..cackes...cookies....it's easy ....not expensive (1ooks to 200ks depending on the location!)....& bring a lot of profit....because everyone can affored to buy a drink....

i don't know....need to think about it.....
I
23 November 2005 04:45
montreal_1 a écrit:
> Hi Ilhem2
>
> I am in the same situation as you. I got my
> bachelor degree in business administration with a
> major in Management Information Systems.
> Then i worked in MIS (Financial applications)
> durin three years.
> I did not like it so far. I have decided to start
> a graduate diploma
> in Management with a major in Finance-Treasury and
> work in the finance field or management. It is not
> easy (Time + Money). In addition to that it is
> hard to go back to shcool and concentrate.
>
> I whish good luck.

hi montreal_1,

it's nice to know your interesting experience....it's thrue...nothing is easy....but the most important thing is to know what you want....then it's possible to ashieve it no matter how diifficult it is....one point I totally agree with you in is the fact that it could be hard to go back to the school...but nothing is impossible.....

wish you all the best too.....
Z
23 November 2005 14:37
hello ilhem

in this case the paramount importance is location smiling smiley u have to worry about nothing except the reputability of the franchiser and the location

Ilhem2 a écrit:
> ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma a écrit:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi ilhem2, many think that a cofee shop or a
> > restaurant, more broadly a fast food business
> does
> > not have to merit high education, in a matter
> of
> > fact; nowadays, managing a cofee shop or
> similar
> > is a challenge of a piece of art, people are
> more
> > competing about the quality of service, the
> > environement, timeliness and last but not
> least
> > the ingredient. Yes with your tourism Master,
> you
> > can have an edge because you already
> underlined
> > the stereotypes of customers.
> >
> > The bottom line is interesting too, I know
> people
> > who run small restaurant, with basic menu
> are
> > making net profit of 6k after 8 months of
> > operation only !
> >
> > the purchase cost was 350k
> >
> > You will break even and get extra profit for
> 82ks
> > after 5 years operability
> >
> > This assuming that you will not have more
> profit
> > about the 6ks/ months which is very
> improbable
> > since u can get more by extending the
> service
> > value.
> >
> > The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I
> have
> > promises to keep, and miles to go before I
> sleep …
>
>
> salam ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma,
>
>
> I think so too....but what I want to do should not
> cost as much as you said (350ks)....I'm thinking
> in taking a franshising....you know those kind of
> coffee shops such as Gloria jeans....as fanchisee
> you get avery thing set by the franchiser ....even
> the training for how to use the cofee
> machines...how to satisfy the hygien
> requierements...ect...the marketing and the
> management included...I also don't want to make
> reataurant...it's to much work ....the best is to
> focus on drinks & small thigs like
> sandwishes..cackes...cookies....it's easy ....not
> expensive (1ooks to 200ks depending on the
> location!)....& bring a lot of profit....because
> everyone can affored to buy a drink....
>
> i don't know....need to think about it.....
>

r
23 November 2005 17:24
Hello Ilhem,
I've been a teacher in France during 3 years then I realized that I wanted to do something else. It wasn't easy because everybody think that teaching is so sool, especially with all the vacations, and people were thinking that I was crazy because it's a secure job. But I decided to stop because i was 27 and I didn't want to regret later not to have take the risk.
I worked after this during one year as a temp excecutive assistant. I saw different compagny, different department and found what I wanted to do.
I went back to school to prepare a Master in Marketing, and now I'm in the US for a one year internship. In my master's program, there was only people like me, that had changed job. There was even women with 2 children at home.
It is hard to change job and sometines you doubt a lot about your choice, but it's worth it.
In addition, you will never loose your previous experiences, it's a strengh. I feel strong and secure to have different knowledge... And maybe someday I'll teach again, who knows?
So I encourage you to pursue your project and good luck.

I
25 November 2005 02:53
Hi everybody,

roudoudouhk a écrit:
> Hello Ilhem,
> I've been a teacher in France during 3 years then
> I realized that I wanted to do something else. It
> wasn't easy because everybody think that teaching
> is so sool, especially with all the vacations, and
> people were thinking that I was crazy because it's
> a secure job. But I decided to stop because i was
> 27 and I didn't want to regret later not to have
> take the risk.
> I worked after this during one year as a temp
> excecutive assistant. I saw different compagny,
> different department and found what I wanted to
> do.
> I went back to school to prepare a Master in
> Marketing, and now I'm in the US for a one year
> internship. In my master's program, there was only
> people like me, that had changed job. There was
> even women with 2 children at home.
> It is hard to change job and sometines you doubt a
> lot about your choice, but it's worth it.
> In addition, you will never loose your previous
> experiences, it's a strengh. I feel strong and
> secure to have different knowledge... And maybe
> someday I'll teach again, who knows?
> So I encourage you to pursue your project and good
> luck.
>
>

thank you roudoudouhk for sharing wit us your experience....you're quiet right in what you're saying.....I need more motivation for my decision....anyway thanks again......
r
27 November 2005 20:23
You're welcome, but it's true too that you have to find first a financial solution for your project. I was in France and I was able to get some financing from my temp agency, and the unemployement organisation.
Anyway, good luck and best wishes.

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook