Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Muslim Filmmaker Shapes Minds
a
1 October 2007 15:44
assalam alaykoum:

IslamOnline.net & Newspapers

Jafry believes that his storytelling helps shape the minds of younger generations in the West about Islam

CAIRO — Battling the ignorance that feeds Islamophobia in the West, a Canadian Muslim filmmaker is on a mission to shape the minds of young generations about Islam and Muslims.
Jawad Jafry is producing documentaries that clear misconceptions in the West about Islamic issues such as hijab, reported the Arab News on Saturday, September 29.

"Hijab is one of the most misunderstood symbols of Islam," he Jafry.

His documentary "Hijab: An Act of Faith," is tackling the concept of hijab and modesty in Islam.

"My documentary tries to explain Islam’s concept of modesty and why Muslim women cover," said the 42-year-old.

"A number of articulate and committed Muslim women with varied backgrounds share their experiences and insights about their choice to wear hijab."

Islam sees hijab as an obligatory code of dress.

Hijab has been thrust into the limelight since the 2004 French ban on the Muslim headscarf at public schools and institutions.

Several European countries have followed the French lead.

"The film also tackles many stereotypes relating to hijab and highlights the duty of Muslim men to observe modesty," said Jafry.

"‘An Act of Faith’ was an important video for Muslims and non-Muslims alike."

Award-winning British reporter Yvonne Ridley has blamed the ignorance of Western politicians and media for the ongoing debate about hijab and other misconceptions about the status of women in Islam.

Shaping Minds

The Muslim filmmaker believes that his storytelling helps shape the minds of younger generations in the West about Islam.

"I once interviewed a woman for our ‘Hijab’ documentary who said that her mother used to read her bedtime stories about the Companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

"She said she always grew up wanting to be like them. That blew me away.

"It continues to amaze me how children can learn so much from the stories and characters they grow up with," said Jafry, whose first documentary "The Wonders of Islamic Science" tackled the Qur'an's inspiration that led to Muslim achievements in astronomy, medicine, mathematics, geography, zoology and other fields.

These achievements have later powered the Renaissance of Europe.

"I think we would all be so much better off if that happened," he said.

Jafry's documentaries are also tackling everyday problems in Canadian society.

His documentary "Night Shift" deals with the plight of underemployed foreign-trained professionals in Canada.

"The paradox of foreign-trained doctors, engineers, PhDs and other professionals driving taxis and doing other low-level jobs has been so common in Toronto that it’s almost a cliché," he said.

The film tells the story of Malik Khan, Pakistani, who has a master's degree in chemistry.

"Khan arrived in Toronto in 2003 with high hopes, but the only job he could find was working the overnight shift as a security guard at a downtown condo. He shared a tiny apartment with three other men and made weekly calls to his new wife, Fareeha, back in Pakistan.

"Khan was somebody who was qualified — somebody who has the qualifications that should be market-worthy — and he was working as a security guard at night because he couldn’t find any other job.

"This is quite a common problem. It is a generational problem.

"People come here and basically get stuck in a wrong job, and then they sacrifice themselves for the next generation to succeed."

[www.islamonline.net]

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook