Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
From USA to Canada
Z
26 September 2005 19:31
Hi Community,

Hope you are all doing well. Ramadan is comming and I take the opportunity to say, Mabrouk Ramadan to all.

I am these times, a little bothered where to continue studies, I have two options, Canada or USA, Knowing that I have my undergrad studies in the USA.

Can anybody give me some hints about advantages or drawbacks of any of both ?

Thanks, your help is much appreciated ./.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
N
26 September 2005 21:32
Hello,

Shukran for your wishes.

In response to your question: Based on my experience and those people that I know, (besides Harvard, UCLA, Yale) US & Canadians Universities are essentially the same. The only difference is "cost". US universities are much more expensive.

Quality of life in the campuses are same.

m
28 September 2005 07:16
Hi,

If you get accepted in one of the top American Universities (Harvard, Princeton, Yale, MIT, Caltech, UC Berkely, Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Johns Hopkines, Chicago, Cornell...etc), go ahead, Canadian universities are far to have such high standard. Just look academic ranking of world Universitiesk, in the first 20 universities you will find 17 American universities (+ Oxford and Cambridge in UK and Tokyo university in Japan).

Good luck,
------ "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, while the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man".George Bernard Shaw
y
yca
28 September 2005 10:17
Hi dude,

Well, for the top universities in US, obviously they cost hella money, if you can afford one of them, well...good luck. Having a US or Canadian diploma is the same, but, good Canadian universities are limited, in USA, you got plenty of choices and thousands of millions of universities. It doesn't matter if it's ranked in the top 50 or whatever, the most important criteria you should consider is the ACCREDITATION, before enrolling into any university, make sure it's accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), it's an international accreditation organization which certifies that such or such university has quality education. With a diploma from an accredited university, you can get a job easily (more or less).

Hope this will help you.

Good luck
Z
30 September 2005 01:36
Salam yall, it smells alharira in here smiling smiley

thanks for the heads up,

I know fairly how it works .. I am thinking of a univ, no more than 12 grants a year normal track .. Accredited yes, but I would hardly find it in metropolitan areas so maybe in alabama state or sth.

What about job opportunities in canada ? I mean are they a lot ? A reason keeping me here is that you can afford a decent student life by yourself, Is it the same thing in canada ? if yes, which provinces ? is the 9 month after emigration you get a working permit a fact or a scam ?

Thanks a bunch guys
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
N
1 October 2005 03:08
Hi,

Job opportunities in Canada or US depend on qualification & self-determination. There are jobs but they are meant for the fighters, those who know how to look for them. With a US/Canadian university grad, both countries match each other.

Do u have a schoolarship/bursary or u self-finace your studies. With the same amount of $$ u can live OK in Canada. Mind u, the black-market type of job is more difficult to find vs. in the US.

Ontario and British Columbia have the best universities. Ontario being 1st in Canada.

I've never heard of the "9 month immigration - working permit". Go to this site site for more info [www.cic.gc.ca]

One thing is ALWAYS true though: when your marks are really good, u often get a job b4 graduation. University professors are head-hunters (in disguised) for private companies.
m
6 October 2005 19:19
hello everyone i wish u ramadan karim
A
9 October 2005 08:43
Hello Zouhair,
I did my studies in Canada and then come to the US to finish. I think that I know bith systems:
1. In the US, if you are a graduate student you can get a TA(Teaching assistanship) or an RA(Research Assistantship) which helps you with your tuition fees as well. In canada, I had a TA but I still had to pay high fees for foreigners. In Quebec it is even worse, they do not send you a contract with the kind of TA or RA you will have and the money they will pay you. You are at the mercy of the department.
2. Here in the US you have the right for an assistantship even when you are a foreigner and you can find a job more easily depending of course on your field of study.
3. The only thing that is good about canada is that immigration is easier if you do not have a job offer. in the US it is much more difficult.

i hope this helps!

Ramdan Moubarak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2005 08:44 by Almouha.
Z
22 October 2005 10:08
Thanks all, I finally decided not to take any decision before next semester, since i am legally allowed to have one year (optional practical training) i will wait until i come to a beneficial decision

Thanks ya all guys, I apprecited it
g
2 November 2005 17:02
Isn't it true that , yes its cheaper to go to College in Canada, but the quality of education you get is inferior ?
Z
3 November 2005 09:44
as a matter of fact, in my case it does not affect, because in morocco, canadian degree vs american one are f the same qualifications
g
3 November 2005 18:26
That is interesting...I was just quoting what some students told me about Canadian College education, not personal opinion..Italian degrees are not accepted here as far as I know, unless you go through certification.
Z
4 November 2005 08:32
Yes in morocco too, mainly it depends upon ur employer

if it is the governement, u have to get the certification, or equivalence done in my case from amideast in morocco

some multinationals or just private corps, judge on the interview or on ur ability to perfomr the task after taking an exam .. so it all depends but most higher qualified jobs needs certified equivalence done by a specific agency (American)

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook