Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
coming to the west
s
sbs
7 December 2006 16:13
Ok guys, we've spoken about this before, but how hard was it to adapt to living in the west, particularly if your languages was a little scratchy when you first got there

In holland it is so much easier for new Moroccans to adapt as they are more likely to have family and friends here to help out and show them the ropes. For the first generation of 'pioneers' it was really tough going.

What are your stories or the stories of those you know.

I know a guy who went to do his shopping. He couldn't see any onions, so not being able to make himself understood, began to cry, meaning that onions made him cry. Anyways, he must have acted it out so well, that the shop keeper called the Police and told them he was very distressed.

A guy rented a room with an English lady. Every night the guy would come home and find the lady eating her supper. She would talk to him, but he didn't understand her and he was so hungry at watching her eat. This went on for over a week. When a fellow Moroccan came by, the dutch lady told him, I keep offering him some supper, but he never accepts. When the friend asked him why was he refusing to eat her food, gellah raha tgemrej 3liya mafhemt wellou.
r
7 December 2006 16:27
I am sure every single one of us who went to a foreign country to start a new life from scratch must have a tale to tell his/her children and grandchildren. In my case when I went for the first time to London, I knew some english but I spent 2 weeks walking or using the bus around as I was afraid to take the undegroud. The other was when some Irish colleagues told me they take the BOUSS (the bus), took me a while to figure that out.
A
7 December 2006 17:18
Salam 2 U All;
Coming to The West or immigrating is what our destiny has for many of us here, hence looking back, it wasn't that easy to leave back home, actually I am working on a book my aunty begged me to write on this topic insha-Allah one day her dream gonna become reality, but just picking up some points from those first days of immigration, Man Oh! Man it wasn't that easy at all, Language Barrier was a big factor indeed coming to an Anglo-Saxon society wasn't that easy, also if you happen to immigrate to a conservative country with so many red tapes, then Allah Ghalib, that poor aunt of mine used to stop people in the streets asking in our Moroccan Dialect Are You Muslim Can Ask You A Question then they Just looked at her puzzled what the hell is she talking About then she figure out they Are Not Muslims Nor Speaks her Mother tongue and she keep walking towards her destination, Also the Climate is too cold, people are cold as well, laws do not protect ignorants, your rights are not given to you unless you know & seek them the right way, I am always amazed @ some people how they did long time before us like in the 60's, 70's, 80's Amazing those people did something I call Jihad cause it was really A true Struggle for them, keep up with these societies & the headaches immigrants go through in the beginning. My Advice is make sure you do some research before you jump into a plane, boat, train, bus, or a car, make sure you know at least 2 to 3 people from your city or country who are really settled or at least they know how to get around and manage their affairs, so that you do not suffer or even get abused, hence not to waist your time from your life then return back home with empty hands, people back home are not gonna have mercy on you nor accept you back if you do come back empty handed, cause to them you are good for nothing, means you are a loser, Allah Karim & Allah Al-Mouta3an, this is too touching to me this topic and I am not ready for that book yet, since I am still collecting information and comparing how immigrants do struggles in the West, Let Just End this Setion by sharing some example how people are living not all of them a lot newcomers. 1. Most new graduates from local colleges & universities, Plus Doctors & Engineers from abroad are Driving Taxis, is this Right to you An educated Person comes to live in the West End up Driving Some Taxis and Being People to Pay The Exact Fare? Or it is Right for them to sell Hotdogs in cold street corners? Is it Right to Educated Men & Women ends up working as housekeepers cleaning homes instead of curing sick people in hospitals and saving lives? I am done Talking Here & Do Forgive Me sometimes I keep going & I do Repeat Myself quiet Often Maybe I am getting old well I already showing great hair loss, Not Like I came as A Bold man but this is just 1 of the Prices we are paying to be living in the West, We lose a lot, But do not get Me Wrong, We lose Some But Also We gain Some, I am always Thankful to the place where Allah Grant me some Bread, therefore I do Love My Second Home As Equal to My First Home "Ya3ni, Back home" Wa-Assalamo-Alikoum,
"Do Not Worry if The Whole World is Right & You Are Wrong But Worry Alot if You Are The Only 1 Right, Since it's Almost Impossible for That to Be True, Winks, Ha, ha, ha"

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook