Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
CANADA: how is life there?
K
12 April 2008 06:36
Racism:

Yes it exist ! unfortunately.

Some of the immigrants will find out that some of their résumé will be thrown on the trash when it sent to some employers.

Okay let’s read it again : I said SOME of the immigrants will find out that SOME of their résumé will thrown on the trash when it sent to SOME employers … nor ALL of the immigrants neither all employers.

The most known story it’s about Kamal El_Batal this Moroccan who couldn’t get a job at all with the Agricultural Corporation of Quebec until he changed his name to Marc Tremblay. He complained to the Human Rights Commission and was awarded $15,000.

Since the event of September 11, 2001 most of the foreign name (especially Arabic) had difficulties to pass throw the process of employment, so people had to work harder than even before for at least having a job to pays their rent and essentials of decent life.

People had to be aware of that and should also know that there are some others who arrived, hardly but they had arrived..

In my opinion the two most important points that an immigrants had to consider for this issue is :

1* to “target“ big companies that they really had a employment equity program

The purpose of an employment equity program is –as defined by government of Canada- to ensure that individuals have access to positions at the compagnies and that their qualifications are assessed in relation to the requirements of the position. The program seeks to eliminate any recruitment, selection, promotion or training practices that have the effect of being discriminatory and to provide a workplace where individuals are treated with respect.

2* to build its own network:

I wanna say to any immigrant, the reality is that you will be coming into a very competitive environment and most people protect themselves against outsiders by developing strong networks. In few words, it is not that Canadians have a plan to block immigrants in the work place but basically have their own networks and they know that this is the only way to survive in business but the same can be said about the Chinese, Indian, Italian, etc. In few words, you will feel blocked mainly because you have no networks that might take years to develop.
K
12 April 2008 06:39
Racism:
Yes it exist ! unfortunately.

Some of the immigrants will find out that some of their résumé will be thrown on the trash when it sent to some employers.

Okay let’s read it again : I said SOME of the immigrants will find out that SOME of their résumé will thrown on the trash when it sent to SOME employers … nor ALL of the immigrants neither all employers.

The most known story it’s about Kamal El_Batal this Moroccan who couldn’t get a job at all with the Agricultural Corporation of Quebec until he changed his name to Marc Tremblay. He complained to the Human Rights Commission and was awarded $15,000.

Since the event of September 11, 2001 most of the foreign name (especially Arabic) had difficulties to pass throw the process of employment, so people had to work harder than even before for at least having a job to pays their rent and essentials of decent life.

People had to be aware of that and should also know that there are some others who arrived, hardly but they had arrived..

In my opinion the two most important points that an immigrants had to consider for this issue is :

1* to “target“ big companies that they really had a employment equity program

The purpose of an employment equity program is –as defined by government of Canada- to ensure that individuals have access to positions at the compagnies and that their qualifications are assessed in relation to the requirements of the position. The program seeks to eliminate any recruitment, selection, promotion or training practices that have the effect of being discriminatory and to provide a workplace where individuals are treated with respect.

2* to build its own network:

I wanna say to any immigrant, the reality is that you will be coming into a very competitive environment and most people protect themselves against outsiders by developing strong networks. In few words, it is not that Canadians have a plan to block immigrants in the work place but basically have their own networks and they know that this is the only way to survive in business but the same can be said about the Chinese, Indian, Italian, etc. In few words, you will feel blocked mainly because you have no networks that might take years to develop.
K
12 April 2008 06:40
Children behaviour
For those who have child and immigrate with them it’s a big challenge to establish a good principles of education for them.

Children will leave different situation outside their home that is not necessary same as inside their home. A big difference and many aspects seems strange for them.

They surely would like to do like their pairs at school or in the street but parents are not really agree with everykind of behaviour and attitude. (even in same country it’s same deal) .

So parents will have hard time to make it easy to understand the “difference” between inside and outside home.

According to my experiences I find out that the most important point concern the parents themselves : the more they behave the respectable their child are. Remember Child would like to do as their parents do or even better (in the two way: Good or bad way).

So when a man accept to drink beers at home and his wife smock cigarettes, I can’t see why parents feel upset when their child do. Other things child learn faster than parents.

Some of them can manage it and they had a quite good life and others not.

The last point here is that even in Morocco we lived strange situation when in such country child did same foolish as in the others countries, how many times we heard this father or mother complaining about the bad behave of their sons and/or daughters wich is worst than child in Canada itself.

Climat
IT’S EXTREMLY COOOOLD yeah I say it again and again !

But let me tell you this :

“Only heads and pockets when they are empties that it feels extremely cold”,

When you don’t have to pay clothes to your babies or when a couples of friends talk about many important in life and you seems doesn’t even understand what they are talking about .. ohhh let me tell you this is the terrible cold

So for many immigrants, the cold weather is embarrassing and frustrating, moreover when winter stay for about 6 months and half, after a long day work you just ahd the envy to come back home because it’s cold outside and freezy and there are accidents as cars slip on the snowy roads, etc …

In other hand as we are living in a high developed country here are machines for sweeping snow and people had air-conditioner at home, there are also, in the bus, in the library, in the supermarket, etc wherever you go you feel comfortable because they adapt climate for people.

However it’s better to inform people that : yes it’s extremely cold .

Lack of family
Maybe you will have a better life, maybe you will have a good job, maybe you will have a sweet home …. But for many immigrants the lack of family is stronger.

Even with all beautiful things in life they always live with their nostalgia, and you will feel it hard during religious festivities: ramadan, aid el kbir, etc….

Before immigrating I like people read that again and put it clearly on their eyes, maybe it will be a good way to sufficiently prepared for doing the step or staying at home.

I did my decision, I assumed it and I’m living a quite sweet life, alhamdoulillah.

Hope great things to you too
P
14 April 2008 23:16
Oh my god Canada .sorry but travell is not my job i live in algeria and i dont know any country .confused smiley i know just my city.
K
15 April 2008 15:00
Okay Pretty-Girl, but you don't know what you miss winking smiley

In other hand tehre many advantages to live in canada, we have to know that for six times in the last decade, Canada has been ranked number one by the United Nations Human Development Index as the best country in the world in which to live and also Canada has the world’s highest rate of post-secondary education enrollment, along with an excellent health care system.
a
15 April 2008 15:24
You have to remember you left your familiar surroundings for a reason. You are not going all the way to Canada or the Filliping to live the life you are accustomed to back home. You make a decision to take your children to live somewhere else to have better schooling and future that is fantastic but don’t expect them to be like the Moroccan children living in Morocco; that is not fair on them. If you are in the Filliping they will behave like Filipinos, if in State they will behave like American, if in Sudan they will be Sudanese just with hairy knees.

Count on moving away to live with the locals not beside them but Witham. I am not telling you to change your way of thinking but simply to respect theirs and accept it right or wrong. If you can’t do that just start packing your bags and plan to go to an Arab state or back home and that is the secret of being a happy immigrant.

You will get a chance to go back and visit your relatives who will be proud to hear about Al kh7arije then you can show off as much as you like even if you have to tell lies that is just inherent.

\\\\////
Adidas Best straight answers

Free counseling and immigration advice only to Moroccan
[email protected]
P
15 April 2008 22:50
ah ok I understand kabilol thank you very mucheye rolling smiley
h
18 April 2008 11:50
salam,

hi adds,

The country you were refering to is called Philippines and not Filliping.

(You will get a chance to go back and visit your relatives who will be proud to hear about Al kh7arije then you can show off as much as you like even if you have to tell lies that is just inherent.)

is this your opinion or someone's else, if not could you please tell me what do you think of people who behave such way...i mean those who show off eventhough their tummies are empty......

thanks
v
22 April 2008 05:16
hello bro although i am from usa but canada is not that different from usa i have been to montreal and toranto and otawa for a visit. i have some friends living their with their families and kids. it is a good place especially if u will be going to montreal theres lots of marocan and other nord african communities. but take my suggestion and stay in maroc because maroc is a moslum cuntree and even if maroc has lots of problems specially with the women who act and immitate to be western whores and beches.....still its a moslum cuntree and islam will one day come to the streets of maroc again inchaa allah
K
23 April 2008 22:53
There are so many mosquee in MOntreal, and few in others cities.

People in Canada practice their religion free and with no violence.

Thanks for your suggestions but Canada is still a country of peace for people who klnow what does it mean .

have a nice day
a
25 April 2008 19:55
My apology if my mistake did upset your learning curve. Generally speaking, when I type; I don’t look at the dictionary (it’s too much of a hustle). Remind you I speak Moroccan fluently.
Showing off is not my thing one needs a Doctor; but one can show off without showing off for example with smart Adidas ware …
\\\///

Adidas oo safi
h
26 April 2008 16:31
salam,

thanks adds for your reply.
my learning curve is still ok, thanks again for your concern.
glad you do speak Moroccan fluently, any other languages besides Arabic and englishgrinning smiley???
please adds, do tell me nothing about adidas. ALIdas, JILALIdas, KADDOURdas, DAHMANEdas etc have spoiled the brand. no one trust it anymore. you better change to "NIKE" , it's comfortable, sturdy and can last years and years....

try and let me know evil

take care

Hbibti NIKE grinning smiley
a
27 April 2008 00:33
Just a couple more fluently and one very poor.
Nike is very nice and lovely as it is based on Adidas Best. One never have enough talking about Adidas...confused smiley
Adidas Best winter wear are in Canada and good price too.Clap

Regards

\\\///
Adidas Best
h
27 April 2008 14:23
adds
Adidas Best winter wear are in Canada and good price too

are you earnest, aren't you kiddingeye popping smiley??? with 6 to 7 months of snow a year, only ankle boots that can survive in Canada grinning smiley
a
28 April 2008 10:47
My niece in Montreal just told me the snow went last month. the weather is lovely and hotter than UK now.

\\\///
Adidas Best winter underwear and boots
K
30 April 2008 18:39
MoneySense magazine says the national capital is the best place in the country to live, at least for this year, Helen Morris reports.

Helen Morris, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It may have freezing, long winters and a quiet nightlife, but it seems the nation's capital is the place to live in Canada. According to a MoneySense survey released yesterday, Ottawa is above average on most things, but excellent in nothing.
"It was to some degree a triumph of mediocrity, but it was consistent mediocrity," said Ian McGugan, editor of MoneySense magazine.

The survey of 154 communities across the country looked at a number of issues including the weather, crime, the number of doctors, income levels and whether residents could afford to buy their own home.

Ottawa failed to make it into the top 10 for any of the categories, but the city was above average in everything, finishing well ahead of second-place Victoria, and third-place Fredericton.

Victoria scored high for warm weather and lots of doctors, but very low for affordable housing and discretionary income. Fredericton scored extremely high for affordable housing and discretionary income, but low on doctors and weather.

"It does reflect the fact that Ottawa benefits from a major employer that's never going to go out of business: the federal government," Mr. McGugan said. "Household income is quite high, housing is very affordable, crime is low, lots of doctors there compared to the rest of the country, low unemployment rate and so on."

The country's financial capital didn't fare quite so well. Toronto plummeted to 51st place in 2008, having been a respectable 12th in 2007. For the first time, Statistics Canada provided MoneySense with separate figures for the City of Toronto, Mississauga, Mark-ham and so on, instead of providing one overall figure for the greaater Toronto area.
"When you take away the prosperous suburbs ... essentially what you have is a city where housing is largely unaffordable," Mr. McGugan said. "Where there's a fair amount of violent crime and there are air quality issues."

Ottawa resident Maria-Lucia Castillo has just completed a master's degree and is about to head to Toronto in search of employment and to be with her husband. She is reluctant to leave the city that has been her home for the past five years.
"I will definitely miss the outdoors here in Ottawa, even just the quality of the air," Ms. Castillo said. "When I go to Toronto in the summer, you can see and feel the smog."

The survey said the average house price in Ottawa was $250,123, and for Toronto it was $404,070. People earning the average income would need 2.93 times their annual salaries to cover the sticker prices of homes in the nation's capital, while Toronto buyers would need 4.94 times the average annual income.
"I'm not looking forward to the living expenses in Toronto," Ms. Castillo said. "Rent is very expensive. I know I will never find housing like the one I have here in Ottawa for the same price in Toronto."

Freelance illustrator Mark Julien left his expensive shared accommodation in downtown Toronto to share an apartment with his partner in Kingston, the fourth-best place to live, according to the study. However, while living expenses are cheaper, he needed some time to become accustomed to the small-town feel.
"We don't have a really big gay scene here in Kingston," Mr. Julien said. "When I was coming out, Toronto was nice because you had a little anonymity. There was a certain power in being able to walk up and down Church Street and hold my partner's hand, which I don't necessarily feel that I have here."

Graduate student Andrea Hunter moved from Ottawa to Kingston, but she doesn't believe her quality of life has declined.
"If anything, it's gotten better," she said. "I'd say that anything you can get in Ottawa, you can get in Kingston. If you're concerned with shopping, services, medical care, etc. ... except for Ikea. But, since I'm not a fan of Ikea -- except for those delicious Swedish meatballs -- this doesn't affect my life at all."

MoneySense Top 10
1. Ottawa
2. Victoria
3. Fredericton
4. Kingston
5. Lévis, Que.
6. Moncton, N.B.
7. Winnipeg
8. Burlington, Ont.
9. Halifax
10. Vancouver
Source: MoneySense.ca