Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
Best Home Linux Distro (as a networked home server)
Z
7 November 2005 10:18
Salam,

It should have a remote interface
pleasant interface for commands
easy and convinient to install
Will be used as a storage home server

Any clues ?
Thanks
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
a
7 November 2005 16:13
ZouhairIbnouAbiSalma a écrit:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Salam,
>
> It should have a remote interface
> pleasant interface for commands
> easy and convinient to install
> Will be used as a storage home server
>
>
> Any clues ?
> Thanks
>
> The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have
> promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …

As I understand you looking for a operative system that can be used as a server, in the same time has an interface, from where you an access you date from other computer. if wrong specifie what you asking for and correct me!!
if i am right !! here is a solution

you can use one of windows server is easy to handle with and you can use access remote desktop that come with windows xp/2000..etc. (this solution is expensif but hmhmhmhmhm just say the word joutia and you should understand)
but if you are using it for a biZ Hmhmhmhmhmh you have to paye

as i see in the title u write Linux understand you are free software guy.. not bad.
i use fedora core for some application cause is free.. and does the job and secure.. if you need it i tell you where to download it..

Again if i miss undersood you explain then i got you a solution

ooops there is one new active linux... you can use as a server with interface..
UBuntu .. [www.ubuntu.com] they have update every 6 months..
very easy to install and have a running CD means you can start it from a cd .. cheek it out and decide to installet or no .

i hope my answear coverd you needs...
aziz_dk

Z
7 November 2005 16:38
Thanks aziz, but i really need something "linux" not windows,

I have in mind MAndreak linux server edition, but it is outdated, now i am trying to install the slackware, or Solaris 10 (Iknow it is unix but not linux) but I want a distro that is mainly meant to be for server purposes and networking

thanks
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
a
7 November 2005 17:02
[www.linuxcd.org]

you can try Ubuntu server version ??
aziz_dk
Z
8 November 2005 09:10
I think it is a good fit, unfortunatly it does not detect the network interface on a hp (old version) maybe I should by a new ethernet card (seems a lot old school !)

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook