Menu
Connexion Yabiladies Ramadan Radio Forum News
On Being Vegetarian....in Islam
G
11 November 2005 15:11

dearest all....

Good afternoon to everybody. Actually CIAO to everybody!!

The title says it all.
Would it be possible for a muslim to become a vegetarian (actually to be precise a lacto-vegetarian as i am)?

It has been 11 years now, i eliminated completely any sort of meat under any form, fish and eggs. And believe me i dont look starved or in bad health and my 3 per year blood test are perfect!

Since i am in a relation ship with a muslim (nobody knows it here ;-))), how is it seen by muslims?
I ask you coz my Fattah he just tells me that something bad will happen to my body and eventually he will MAKE me eat fish and meat again
(i assure you this is 100% IMPOSSIBLE)

Now, i became vegetarian coz i started by partecipating to various campaigne on being anti vivisectionist when living in England, and little by little i discovered.... well it's too long, for your informations the net is full of infos.

But i mean it is haram in islam or could be tollerated, and i also mean for future children.

(Having said this i also add that with a bit of disgust i do cook meat for Fattah........And incha Allah if i ever go to casablanca i want his mama to teach me some meat or fish dishes)

"Life is too short not to be Italian. Or at least for not to meet one!"
Z
11 November 2005 17:26
maybe he was thinking about lack of protein and fibers from red meat

and also about fish oil, a necessary nutrient to our health

to my knowledge it is not except that there is a saying that in eid el fitr we have to eat a little bit of our sacrifice and give 1/3 to the needy
The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep …
m
14 November 2005 05:20
Salaam,

I found the below on wikipidia. basically being a vegetarian is not haram. But it depends on how you look at it. You should not think that eating meat is barbaric or doing harm to animals because this negates the fact that God is the most merciful and He is the one who created the animals and gave the humans the abality to consume them... :

Islam explicitly permits the eating of some kinds of meat, but does not make it compulsory. There are several hadith that support a vegetarian lifestyle and recommend kindness to animals rather than eating them. "Masih (the messiah, Jesus) said, ‘Flesh eating flesh? How offensive an act!’" (Al-Raghib al-Isfahani), Mahadarat al-Udaba', 1:610.) However, most Islamic scholars assert that if a person is a vegetarian because he does not like meat and prefers eating vegetables or because of some dietary reasons, then this cannot be objected to on religious grounds. However, if he or she thinks that slaughtering animals to eat their meat is doing injustice to them, that is not acceptable, since animals have been created by Allah "solely for the service of man":

And cattle He has created for you. From them you derive warmth, and numerous benefits, and of their [meat] you eat. (16:5)
It is Allah who made cattle for you that you may use some for riding and some for food. (40:79)
According to Islam, one should not try to be more merciful than the Merciful Allah. Such philosophising is tantamount to expressing "ingratitude to Allah". In other words, eating the meat of the animals is acknowledging the favours of a "Gracious" Creator, and this acknowledgement in turn is instrumental in the "inner purification" of a person – the primary goal of Islam. Slaughter animals by Halal is thus important for "inner purification" according to Islam. Some Islamic mystics, such as the Sufis, advocate vegetarianism.
G
15 November 2005 09:38
Dear mdlazreg,
regarding "... ...since animals have been created by Allah "solely for the service of man" well of course this phrase could not find me more against it, i mean miles away from it.

I became vegetarian not because i dont like meat simply because of an ethic reason and sensitivity toward the animal world.
Believe me a still could do a nice slice of italian baked braed with salami or parma ham, but once (i was already very much into the anti vivisectionism then), queueing on a highway, i happened to find myself close to a truck that was transporting those poor pigs to slaughter, having had the 15/20 second eye contact with one of them and feeling his terror written in the eyes, no no no no i said "From me, this eating dead animal will never happen again, nor for my children"

It is anyway very interesting to have read how it is seen from an islmic point of view.

PS: when living in england i went on the BBC during a march against fox hunting and i was saying my own one on national telly!!!!

Cheers and my warm wishes for a great day today....

G.
e
17 November 2005 15:48
In Islam we're not obliged to be vegeterian or not, there are some prohibitions but doesn't mean that we've to be not vegeterian i think it's so stupid to think of islam that way...all we need is recognize the freedom already given to us in islam...........So Be Free About it.

--------------------------
Thalasso Tunisie

Emission spécial MRE
2m Radio + Yabiladi.com
Join Yabiladi on Facebook